Quick Login

Author Topic: I lost yesterday.... psk problems  (Read 2723 times)

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
I lost yesterday.... psk problems
« on: January 31, 2014, 00:16:03 UTC »
So I moved my shack.  Nothing special about that, but when I reconnected everything I found I could not throw the rig into tx from HRD5.2.  I tried everything,strange words were spoken, the intenet was consulted. Nothing helped and I went to bed disconsolate. Practically an entire day gone with nothing to show for it.  I woke with a plan:
1)Get CAT control working first via a serial cable between computer and rig.
2)make tx work via this serial lead.
3)THEN hook up the sound card to an M0AQC interface ( 3 cables leading to a little blue plastic box. I serial & 1 audio in/out lead to  the computer and 1 six pin data lead to the rig.) and configure  the soundcard.

I moved the computer so that I could get at the rear connectors. I got a tingle from the case. I thought 'static electricity'.  I stopped thinking that when I was zapped a second time so I pulled the plug and swapped in another computer, a home brew job I'd equipped with two serial sockets (No usb-->serial adaptors to fiddle with, one less complication. ;))  I reckon some electricity was leaking out and upsetting the sound card: it was probably dripping all over the carpet.

The plan worked. I have HRD working fine. I have DM870 working fine. I have a shocking old computer scheduled for dismantling and salvage.  When will I ever learn to step back from a problem and take the analytical approach?  That random 'try this, try that' approach never works but I keep on drifting into that desperate downward spiral.... Some folk never learn..... :-[

Vic /feeling much happier... :))

Offline VK6MB

• Midshipman
Re: I lost yesterday.... psk problems
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 00:23:54 UTC »
Good work, Vic
Now you had better settle down to a nice Tetley's - and I'm not thinking tea  :))

See you at the Tavern, Mike VK6MB

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
Re: I lost yesterday.... psk problems
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 00:39:39 UTC »
Good work, Vic
Now you had better settle down to a nice Tetley's - and I'm not thinking tea  :))

See you at the Tavern, Mike VK6MB

You're on!!!   ;D

Vic /thirst building.....