Quick Login

Author Topic: Hello from KJ4ODS  (Read 1353 times)

Offline kj4ods

• Able Seaman
Hello from KJ4ODS
« on: March 12, 2015, 17:06:38 UTC »
Hello all! I've been licensed since 2008 or 2009 (I need to look that up). I've been learning CW lately and I picked up a Ten-Tec R4020 qrp rig to use in the backyard and on business travel. I've made one CW QSO with my nephew but I REALLY need to work on practicing on the air. I've been lingering around 7.114, 7.055 to practice picking out callsigns. Anyways.. I 'm excited to start working more CW and at QRP levels. Oh and I built a Rock-Mite 40 a few years ago which I plan to get on the air soon once my CW gets better.

Thanks and 73

Dan
KJ4ODS

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: Hello from KJ4ODS
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 19:02:41 UTC »
Welcome to the group Dan and the fun world of QRP radio.
Keep plugging away at the CW, it's well worth the effort.

Dave
Dave

Offline N8XEE

• Leading Rate
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 11:27:18 UTC »
The best way to improve your CW is to get on the air!  There's a lot of QRP activity around 7040, and most ops there are very tolerant of newcomers.  If you hear a CQ, don't be afraid to answer, at a speed that's comfortable for you.  Whenever I call CQ, I always try to respond at the same speed the station answering my CQ is using.  I might call CQ at 17wpm, but if a station answers me at 10wpm, that's what I'll reply at.

Welcome to QRP.  I hope you'll find it as addicting as I have.
Current callsign - KC3RN

Offline kj4ods

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 00:40:09 UTC »
thanks for the tips! I will check out 7040 and try to make another contact. I've been listening lately but I have a hard time catching someones callsign on the first go. I tend to need to hear it one more time for it to click.