Quick Login

Author Topic: You're stranded on an island with just your qrp rig….  (Read 2681 times)

Offline W1SFR

• Leading Rate
You're stranded on an island with just your qrp rig….
« on: December 10, 2013, 18:04:58 UTC »
The age old question….so what would it be?

Offline YV5EN

• Petty Officer
  • CW forever
    • YV5EN web page
Re: You're stranded on an island with just your qrp rig….
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:35:19 UTC »
I really love my bugs:

This is my Vibroplex "Original Standard" (1961), which is the one I usually use when I'm QRPing outdoor.

This is my Vibroplex "Original Deluxe" (1958), which I use on fixed operation (my shack).

This is my Vibroplex "Original Presentation", which allways stays in its box hi hi hi

My outdoor setup:

Main compartment:
Elecraft KX1 transceiver, 12Vdc 5Ah gel batt, dummy load mini, Vibroplex Original Bug, Mini-Padle Iambic key, external speaker, SWR/wattmeter, some connectors and wires.
Upper compartment:
Dipole antenna for 40m, 100 ft coax, earphones, logbook, lantern, World Atlas and Hamradio permissions.
72 es 73, Edwin
Twitter: @YV5EN
Proud to be the First and only Ham in Venezuela to achieve QRP DXCC.
NAQCC Lifetime Memeber #4881, Straight Key Century Club #8307, Flying Pigs QRP Club #2713, Polar Bear QRP Club #299, Member of SPAR Society for the Preservation of Amateur Radio, ARRL & RCV member...

PG4I

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 07:09:17 UTC »
I suppose the straight key is the most robust and reliable. So it would be my number one choice.

Offline n7bdy

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 05:40:00 UTC »
I like the simplicity of mechanical things so a straight key is my first choice and what I use all the time .  Second choice  ( if I knew how to use one )  would be a bug .  Both are pretty much unbreakable AND if you do , you can fix them in the field .

Bob

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 17:51:12 UTC »
Straight key for simplicity.
Dave