Quick Login

Author Topic: Contemplating the BuxComm Windom  (Read 4724 times)

Offline ve3vvf

• Petty Officer
    • ve3vvf/qrp
Contemplating the BuxComm Windom
« on: February 11, 2017, 13:13:20 UTC »
Hi all,
I have always used resonant dipole antennas...most often as a fan dipole.  I have moved to a QTH with a lot of wind and these fan dipoles continually get tangled.  For this reason I have been digging about for something less troublesome.  The BuxComm windom (2M to 160) looks like a nice alternative from what I've read and gives me more bands.  No tuner is required on the resonant bands except for 160 and WARC.  I have always shied away from tuners and such which is why I used the dipoles.  Has anyone used these antennas or know of their effectiveness?

cheers and thanks,
Scott ve3vvf
QRP - where the fun is

Offline ve3vvf

• Petty Officer
    • ve3vvf/qrp
Re: Contemplating the BuxComm Windom
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 23:29:26 UTC »
I emailed the manufacturer and asked him about a more lightweight version of their Windom for QRP use as a 268' long antenna will sag especially when connecting the coax to the balun.  He got back to me fairly quickly saying that he could do a "special build" for QRP.  I'm seriously considering it.  I have the room and the thought of 1 antenna and no tangling in the wind is very enticing.  Here is a link to their antenna:  https://packetradio.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49&products_id=2705
QRP - where the fun is

VE2TH

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 20:03:17 UTC »
Hello Scott,

Very good question indeed. A couple of years ago, I was at my friend's chalet. He has a 40 foot tower model DMX 40 HD, and at the top of the tower he installed a 3 foot tubing which runs across the tower,
and he put a rope with a pulley.

So we took the Buxcomm antenna which was the model 80 thru 6 meters, attached the rope to the very solid eye bold at the top of the balun, and up the tower. This model had the 3 KW Balun.

When attaching wire to trees, we've found that the wire is rather heavy and very difficult to stiffen, thus it sag in the Wind.

1- This antenna is very sturdy and "heavy",(•Shipping Weight: 9.9lbs)
     it certainly a good one for high winds.

2- But we were afraid to give more straitness of the 2 wire, because we were afraid to break the wires     near the balun.

3- If I had to install permanently this antenna, I should have a more rigid tower or support at the top, and very solid supports for each ends.

The way it is built you cannot install it and adjust the ends for your environnement with an analyser.
It is sold to install it as is right out of the box. If you can find some close-up of how the wires are installed , you will understand. But honestly, it is really well built.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONS: I tried this antenna here at home, but I only have a 32 ft tilt mast flag pole style.
           At the end of my lot I have 10 ft poles to attach the ends of wire. Due to the weight of the wires,   same problems, my poles are not strong enough to straighten the wires. so I had tangling, and with freezing rain it was ...HORRIBLE!!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PRO: It is a very well built antenna, very solid, very good quality of material, and it is normal to find an antenna like this one so sturdy for the components, it is built for 2 or 3 KW.

2- The bandwidth on all bands is very good and below 1.5 to 1

3- Except it doesn't cover the following bands: 30-15-6 meters . The one I tried was for 80 thru 6 meters.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is also one of my dream antenna, because I should be able to cover "ALL BANDS FROM 80 THRU 6 METERS" with some modifications.

You should be very interested to read this old article from 2 German hams, DL1BBC & DJ7SH,  about their tests with a home made Windom.

Here is the article: From QST MAGAZINE, AUGUST 1990, PAGE 28-34. A must read, the one I should try to experiment next summer.

For the first time, I think , it is a Four (4) wires Windom antenna. The 6:1 Balun seems to be better than the 4:1 one.

I'm sure if you built one yourself it could be more economic, less expensive if you buy a good balun and some good  vinyl covered or black PVC insulated wires. Here I use 18 or 20 gauge for all my wire antennas.

About Baluns, I recommend those 2 companies for the quality of their products and their tutorials, which help greatly.

Fot the benefit of all readers here are very good instructional links about Balund & Ununs for all kind of antennas. A must read.

1- https://www.dxengineering.com/

2- http://www.balundesigns.com/

3-https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/chartsguides/d/dxe-bal050-h05-a_sn.pdf

4- https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/chartsguides/c/choosing-the-correct-balun.pdf

HERE IS THE ARTICLE IN .PDF format :

http://rfcec.com/RFCEC/Section-3%20-%20Fundamentals%20of%20RF%20Communication-Electronics/07%20-%20ANTENNA/Antenna%20-%20The%20Off%20Center-Fed%20Dipole%20(By%20John%20Belros%20VE2CV%20&%20Peter%20Bouliane%20VE3KLO).pdf

So Scott, let us know of your future projects with the Windom, it is always interesting to talk each others about the great antenna projects.

All the very best, 72/73,

Michel VE2TH the qrp'er

Offline ve3vvf

• Petty Officer
    • ve3vvf/qrp
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 17:53:18 UTC »
Thanks for all the info Michel.  I'm going to make sure I get as lightweight as possible but also durable as it is a permanent antenna.  I have a few thoughts regarding the center support or lack there of.  I may use RG-174 just down to the ground because it's lightweight and then transition to something with a lower loss to get back to the shack.  If I can provide some sort of support I will as it may come close enough to my barn.  We shall see.  I'm not going to go with the 160M version because I have found an antenna that I plan to build just for 160.

Cheers,
Scott
QRP - where the fun is