Quick Login

Author Topic: A Funday Sunday on 12m  (Read 1021 times)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
A Funday Sunday on 12m
« on: February 23, 2014, 19:50:12 UTC »
After band conditions being pretty poor for the past several days and hearing very little on the higher HF bands, this morning 12m seemed to be a bit livelier than it had been so I turned the beam towards the east and tuned around. I soon picked up a station CQing at about 25+ wpm, quite weak but I did pick up ?????/QRP so I continued to listen and after listening to 3 or 4 calls made the station to be BD8SZ/QRP - he was about 339 at best and didn't pause and listen for very long between calls. I turned up the speed on my keyer to match his speed and after calling him 3 times managed the contact and was pretty well pleased !
Next bit of fun was working VU2NXM @ 1601, lots of stations calling him but I managed in just 3 or 4 tries.
I then turned the antenna to the USA, there wasn't much doing and I could see from the reverse beacon network that my signal wasn't yet very strong there. But I came across a pile of NA stations calling what was obviously some interesting DX but couldn't hear the DX. I rotated the beam back listening all the time, the NA callers slowly faded and then I could hear 'the DX' - 9L1A, not very strong at about 559. Just as I got the beam lined up properly he'd developed a significant pile-up and decided to go split calling '9L1A UP', so I quickly equalised the VFOs, turned on SPLIT mode and tuned my TX up 1.5 and worked him second call!

I also had a nice QRP surprise on Saturday evening when I worked WA8REI on what seemed a dead 20m band @ 2100. An hour after working Ken an email arrived from him with a recording of my CQ call - first time I've heard myself.
Three all-time new DXCC entities on 12m in one Funday - chuffed to bits!!
Dave

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
Re: A Funday Sunday on 12m
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:26 UTC »
My gratulations Dave, such days are realy fun days. Myself i was in the kitchen whole day, and also looking at an hockey game. brrrrrr  but the "other" was better.  ???
Next Sunday it will be occupied partially by fasaloppet ski race from Sälen to Mora. It takes only an hour or two to get Sälen empty from humans and it is the wilderness it usaly is. But in Mora the people having party day long. Have been there a couple of times, We tanks Gustaf Wasa for this party. ^-^
Listen for the special call. I will remember it is SK4VL,
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.