Quick Login

Author Topic: Hello out in QRP land  (Read 787 times)

Offline K2DEP

• Able Seaman
Hello out in QRP land
« on: January 31, 2014, 16:53:04 UTC »
My name is Steve, live in Maryland, USA and will be 70yo in May. I retired in 2004 and I have been a ham for 22 months as of today, 31 Jan. My main interest is CW. I learned CW in the Navy in 1962 and could copy roughly 35 WPM at the time. I am now back up to about 25wpm. I started QRP with a homebrew tube transmitter that was built from a 1953 schematic. After several months I bought an ICOM 703 that I used for QRP for a year but recently bought a KX3 that is an awesome radio. Some of my memorable times thus far has been building a 1 transistor with 6 other parts CW transmitter with an output of 50mw and made a contact in Smithfield, NC which calculates to 5144 miles per watt. I built a second one changing a few components with an output of 370mw and have made several contacts including Arizona and Nebraska. I also used my KX3 at .95 watt to take 1st in a SKCC less than a watt contest that included a contact in France and Slovenia. I use a 102' G5RV antenna. I use one of two SCHURR hand keys, or a Czech hand key or one of two Vibroplex bugs. So, QRP is a fun and challenging hobby for me and I am hoping to do some portable operations this year.
I like to restore old electronics. To date I have restored a Heathkit DX20, several Hallicrafters S-38s,  a National NC-183D and NC-57M, and several other radios. I also like building kits e.g. QRPoMeter, etc. I play golf regularly and race a racing gokart at a local track.
Will be looking for more QRPers in the future. I am an active member of CW several clubs. Hope to see you on the air.
73 Steve K2DEP

VE2TH

Re: Hello out in QRP land
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 18:54:10 UTC »

Hello Steve and a warm welcome to this very convivial forum and Club, and
congratulations for your miles per watt , with 50 milliwatt it is quite an great achievment!!

I'm doing some milliwatt here too down to 100 milliwatt, with the KX3  so may be one of these day we shall meet on the air.

I am working toward my WAS/DXCC/WAC QRPp  when conditions are good, so I have to check everyday. Hi!

Good luck, have fun everyday

72 Michel VE2TH QRP & QRPp