Quick Login

Author Topic: cluster and RBN beacon.  (Read 2470 times)

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
cluster and RBN beacon.
« on: January 04, 2014, 14:29:14 UTC »
 :) The best cluster for us is i think the cluster Radio Arcala, DX-summit. Here you can use the filters to get the information you need.
Another little cluster is this from four states qrp group.

Another system is the RBN system, (Reverse Beacon Network) Here you  can see all cq calls on cw on different bands. Also here is several filters to use for best information for you. You can search on one single call for example your own and see how the signal is going over the world. Testing conditions or antennas.
 ??? 8)
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
  • The world is too small for QRO.
    • QRP Club
Re: cluster and RBN beacon.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 16:49:50 UTC »
I'm working for you... stay tuned.  8)
72 de Nicola

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 17:10:32 UTC »
I'm working for you... stay tuned.  8)

Waiting....waiting...waITING.... . - . . .       ;D
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

VE2TH

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 17:35:31 UTC »
Hello everyone,

Yes, Reverse Beacon Network is a fantastic tool, if you want to be more amazed about that, try this:

If you have a programmable keyer, external or into your transceiver, program it to call CQ (3 times) then your call 3 times, then AR K.  If you can, put the delays at about 20 seconds between each call.

Go on RBN, click on show map, then with grayline,

Click on spot by callsign put your own callsign.

The little Arrow on the right, click on ROWS TO SHOW , then 100, = YOU CAN HAVE UP TO 100 SPOTS

Now start your automatic keyer, let it call CQ repeatdly, with about 20 or so seconds between the calls.

Now check the map, the list, and on the right you will see how many spots are entering at the same time.

With this, you will have the proof that your little peanut whistle  ;D is copy far more that you may think.

If you are new at QRP, or an old timer QRP'er you will not believe what you see, but it is true.

Sometimes in the past, we experienced calling CQ with no answer for say, half an hour  or so  with pauses between the calls, it was discouraging.

You can keep the pages by saving them on a document like word, just for your own statistics, or show to some of your friend who do not believe on the power of the QRP signals, how QRP is fun and rewarding.

Now you also can use it , when you want to test some new antenna. It is a great way to see by yourself how your antenna is working.

That is the best way you can see the effectiveness of your wire antenna, or your home made one.

Here right now I am testing a HAMSTICK antenna for 15 meters. (it is a mobile vertical antenna) This vertical is hooked up to a home made bracket on my chain link fence (all metal fence)

This fence has 55 meters long around my lot, and is 1.3 meters high. Each metal tubing holding the fence are at 1,2 meters into the ground. This antenna is fed with 15 meter of RG-8/X Coaxial cable, with a 1:1 balun at the feed point.

It is very effective, it is monoband, if I want to change band, I go outside and I screw an another monoband. It takes 30 seconds to do it.

The same during the summer months, when we have thunderstorm. No more fear! :--)))

Before the storm I unscrew my vertical and bingo! I experiment also with full size vertical antennas
made of Buddipole parts. and it works flawlessly.

Full size, no compromise.

Try it (RBN with your own call and programmable keyer) you will like it.

Have fun everyday

72 Michel VE2TH  QRP

P.S. OH! I try it also running QRPp anywhere below one watt, as low as 100 milliwatt, and believe it or not, it gaves me very good surprise, that sometimes I don't believe what I heard but it is true.

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
  • The world is too small for QRO.
    • QRP Club
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 01:57:05 UTC »
Beta Version here::)
72 de Nicola