Quick Login

Author Topic: RatTrap Radio Transmitter  (Read 1997 times)

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
RatTrap Radio Transmitter
« on: August 06, 2015, 02:06:02 UTC »
I read about a mouse trap solid state rig last week. The idea intrigued me so I bought a rat trap yesterday morning. By three oclock I was on 80Ms. It was a fun build and low parts count. Seems to work pretty well. I am using it currently in the 3527 to 3547 area on CW. Output is around a couple of watts.

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
Re: RatTrap Radio Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 14:33:14 UTC »

This rig is now all done. Now on an AC power supply and the clip lead mode is past. The 201A has been replaced with a 45 tube and power output is just about at our limit. I am tuned up and testing on 3546khz. Rig has a slight whoop characteristic of these old style original QRP rigs. I now need to log a couple of contacts. If you hear me on pse reply. Usually from here at that power level I can work the east US coast or far western Ontario. don VE3LYX

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 22:29:03 UTC »
A nifty bit of work Don!
Sadly very little chance of working you from here.

73/72, Dave
Dave

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 02:22:54 UTC »
That would be fun! I wonder how much power it would take to pond hop on CW. Anyway I tried the rat trap rig tonight at the top of each hour but no joy. I will wait till a Special vintage rig event as that seems to work well. Such as the Bruce Kelly weekend or straight key night. Lots of these wonky rigs on then. I think the sound scares some who are not familiar with self controlled osc transmitters from the 20s. I can understand that. Anyway I have invested all the time in it I am going to. It is working and has decent power so I will store it till a early rig event comes along. We are limited to 5 watts and pre 1929 tubes. It is a lot of fun. I have four now: a TNT, a TPTG and two Hartleys, this being one of them.

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 23:37:34 UTC »
Dave, PSSST. This might do it.

211 Hartely