Quick Login

Author Topic: We need a Ship's Rat!  (Read 2416 times)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
We need a Ship's Rat!
« on: January 26, 2014, 22:55:05 UTC »
We need a trained ship's rat or more, that we can send ashore to chew through the antenna feeder cables of stations that that operate QRO in the QRP areas of the bands.

I know that band plans are only advisory and QRPers don't have any 'rights' to any band segments, but most well informed amateurs are aware of band plans and stick to them. However there seems to be a small minority who are either unaware, just don't care or don't think.

With a bit of selective breeding and maybe a bit of genetic modification QRP-C ought to be able to turn Rattus norvegicus into Rattus qrpicus with a ravenous appetite for warm coax.  ;D
Dave

VE2TH

Re: We need a Ship's Rat!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 23:42:27 UTC »

WOW!! a very good idea.

We have to alert Vic G0BVZ the Ship's cat,  ;D

"RATTUS QRPICUS"  What a great idea, I love it.-

Yes many amateurs are not aware of bands plans, I think they do not listen before sending, especially those in digital modes.

For a couple weeks now there are many RTTY stations around 7,040 down to about 7,032. Very often
when in QSO , we are covered with those machine, during the evening week-end as well as during the week.

I Wonder what Vic will say about that ?  ;D

Gn, 72 Michel

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 02:13:26 UTC »

Yes many amateurs are not aware of bands plans, I think they do not listen before sending, especially those in digital modes.

For a couple weeks now there are many RTTY stations around 7,040 down to about 7,032. Very often
when in QSO , we are covered with those machine, during the evening week-end as well as during the week.

I Wonder what Vic will say about that ?  ;D

Gn, 72 Michel

I think most hams are aware of band plans. It's an unfortunate fact of life that some hams simply choose to ignore them. Chances these are ops who can't cut it in their own segments so they invade what seems an inviting free space.  I've come across the occasional ssb contester on 30m.  No contesting on WARC bands, but there they were. They must eventually find out that organisers won't credit WARC contacts so they waste their time but the damage is done; THEY WERE HEARD.Other lame brains will follow.

With some digital mode computer programs, ongoing cw qso show up clearly on the waterfall, there is little excuse for tramping all over us.  I'm pretty deaf but I can SEE CW QSOs.

I'm anxious to avoid 'mode wars': nothing good will come from combative relationships between hams who feel under pressure from lack of space -or, rather, unbalanced allocation of space. The danger of even more antisocial 'tuning up' and similar silliness is very real and one to avoid.

At the moment QRP occupies the moral high ground:  we don't carry 'big guns' and we don't bully: we do lead by example and that's our strength.

I did enjoy the fantasy of rattus qrpicus, it made an appealing momentary image in my mind but that's as far as it goes.

Putting on my cat's sailor hat for a moment, I don't mind the odd little mouse -but have you seen the size of those rats???

Vic /whiskers trembling.....

DF5WW

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:32:12 UTC »
I ignore the Bandplans ..... I call cqdx out of the QRP frequencies too ...

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 21:41:42 UTC »
He's fairly well trained  ;D

Dave

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
  • The world is too small for QRO.
    • QRP Club
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 21:51:53 UTC »
OMG!  :o :))
72 de Nicola

Offline VK6MB

• Midshipman
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 00:02:14 UTC »
Just as long as he stays out of the Tavern, otherwise I have to put up with the crew and pax complaining   :))

73 Mike VK6MB as I set out today, for the city of Bunbury, to replenish the Tavern  :))

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:23:21 UTC »
I ignore the Bandplans ..... I call cqdx out of the QRP frequencies too ...

Who dosent, i mean calling cq out of the qrp frequensies. Sometimes too many qro stns on the qrp fq,s.
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:26:18 UTC »
He's fairly well trained  ;D

Looks a lot like Ratus Vulgaris. If they go to big they can eat cats... danger danger. :-)
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

DF5WW

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 15:11:58 UTC »
Hi Jenny,

i know what you mean but a little joke must be