Quick Login

Author Topic: Successful vintage QRP contact  (Read 1838 times)

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
Successful vintage QRP contact
« on: December 28, 2013, 13:25:06 UTC »
I don't know if  I posted it here or not but I think not. On Sat afternoon last week I made a successful AM Phone contact between my shack and VE6PG (Tim) who lives near Hanover Ontario. I was using a 45 tube TNT transmitter (pre 1929) with just under 300 volts on the plate. Modulation was supplied by use if a carbon mic and a modulation loop. This system was apparently developed by the British somewhere around 1918 to 1920 and it was described to me so I tried it. I was surprised to see how well it works despite its simplicity. Tim's description later in the week on our hi powered AM rigs was "I could hear you well Don" We had two exchanges during that test. RF out is about 3.5 to 4 watts it appears . Distance according to QRZ.com is 179.6 miles. If any of you on the east side of the Atlantic have more info or know of book about this early British  form of AM modulation and its development I would be thrilled to hear of it. Tim VE6PG says he is up for more tests when he gets his good antenna back up. It was for me the most exciting adventure in my 30+ years as a ham. I was on 7120 and if I am on air testing try to stay there or as close as possible should anyone care to listen or try. If your not good on AM there comeback in CW with a series of T s and I will switch modes (to CW) which takes only seconds. I am not fast on CW but can copy well at a plodders pace.
Don