Quick Login

Author Topic: BIG! variations in propagation.  (Read 3269 times)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
BIG! variations in propagation.
« on: September 02, 2016, 22:20:49 UTC »
Last night the only signal I could hear on 20m was PV8ADI. I worked him, but with QRO.
This evening on 20m worked IK2RGV, EA3GMH, EA5EQ and UR3VZ and I was QRPP with just 100mW which is as low as I can go and was still receiving 559/549 reports. Propagation seems to change markedly almost daily!
Where are all the QRPc members? !!
Dave

DF5WW

Re: BIG! variations in propagation.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 09:05:03 UTC »
Still here but changed QTH at August 1st and got Internet  a few days ago .... At the moment under the week QRL and no time to use my old rig and another problem ... i am back to indoors only  :-\ :(

But logged more than 250 contacts in August  ;D ;D

Hope to see you in the bands ....  ;) ;)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 18:57:50 UTC »
Oh sorry you're back indoors Juergen, but you are doing extremely well to make 250 contacts in August!! I don't think I made many more than 50. I'm off to SV8 on Wednesday and hope I'll make about 300 while I'm there, but much depends on how propagation goes.
72- Dave
Dave

DF5WW

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 16:41:44 UTC »
It´s not new for me to work with indoors and QRP  ;D ;D
I think all is possible with indoors too but from time to time it need a bit more time to get your DX  8)

Have SV8 confirmed on several bands but will give you a call when i hear you. A.t.m. only time at weekends and under the week at late afternoon ....  :-\

See you in the bands and good luck for 300 +++ from SV8  ;) ;)

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 00:01:15 UTC »
Well it is probably no big deal to you pros at QRP and it may not have been even normal QRP but just low power but when friend Andrew  GW3OQK  suggested I dig out one of my old style one tube CW rigs and fire it up on 40M during the Classic Exchange night last tuesday I gave it a shot. This is a 1929 design so neither of us expected anything however this is what he heard. I like best his surprise at the end. And I am glad he had the presence of mind to get at least a bit on recording. If you haven't played with these old rigs be careful. They are addictive!
http://www.v-d-r.net/images/VE3LYX%20130916.mp3

donVE3YX

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2016, 20:19:23 UTC »
That's great Don! Loved Andrew's exclamation - "Yes!"
How much power does that single bottle radio put out ?
Dave

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 12:13:54 UTC »
I don't actually know. It isn't huge. I measured 18 watts total input (in B + line) I am going to guess 6 to 9 watts out and that maybe optimistic.
I built recently an Adapter Set Spy transmitter used by German agents before the beginning of WW2 . I have it installed on an old parlour radio as it plugs in the Audio output tube socket and uses the Audio output tube (6f6) for a transmitter tube. I would like to try with it sometime. I only have one crystal for it , a 7051 khz. That is my next goal for DX whether here in NA or across the pond. So far I made it to Baltimore Maryland USA
donVe3LYX