Quick Login

Author Topic: New to club and QRP!  (Read 2000 times)

Offline KB1HZM

• Able Seaman
New to club and QRP!
« on: March 20, 2016, 19:42:00 UTC »
Hello all!

Name is Frank KB1HZM. I have been a Ham for 15 yrs. I havent been on the air much in those years except for contest with a club and would like to get on the air more. I like to camp, backpack and hike. I just recently purchased a Kx3 to take with me while out in the bush. I dont know CW as of yet but I am trying to learn it with difficulties. So I will be using SSB in the bush and SSB with Digital at home. So any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and 73's
Frank
KB1HZM

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: New to club and QRP!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 22:23:52 UTC »
Hi Frank and welcome!
You've got yourself a super radio - one of the best.

My number one tip is to learn CW - you'll get far more bangs per buck and a lot more QSOs out of a battery. Learning CW isn't hard, it just takes a bit of time and you'll find QRPers have lots of patience with those who are developing their CW.
My number two tip is to subscribe to the KX3 users Yahoo Group. Here you'll find plenty of hints and tips on a vast range of aspects of using a KX3.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/KX3/info

My own /P antennas - Buddistick. Full size GPs for 12,17,20 metres held up by lightweight fishing pole. A multiband 12/17/20m GP on a heavier duty fishing pole. A multiband 10 to 80m dipole with no traps, just connectors for each section.
Dave

Offline vu2ur

• Leading Rate
  • retired indian railway bridge engineer
    • none
Re: New to club and QRP!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 02:41:11 UTC »
Am on the air since 1967. Love QRP. Use FT757GX and TS 140 S. Antenna is Inv Vee and Vertical.
Have met quite a few of you and love to meet many more.
Good conditions on 30m. Anyone interested in a sked can e-mail me  to arasuvu2ur@gmail.com.

Best wishes to all of you.
73 de arasu vu2ur
de ARASU VU2UR
One of the Incredible Indians.