Quick Login

Author Topic: A 'dead band'. But...  (Read 1633 times)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
A 'dead band'. But...
« on: October 20, 2014, 21:43:00 UTC »
There was a solar disturbance late today and most of the upper HF bands had collapsed but late eveningI decided to have a hunt around to see if anything was about on 20m and much to my surprise found PR7AA/QRP calling CQ with a 579-599 signal with hardly any other signals on the band. I worked him (with 5W) and then was called by LU5FF but sadly didn't manage to complete the contact.
I suspect that enhanced grey-line had an effect as the RBN image shows.
The moral is that just because a band seems dead it's always worth a try even with QRP!

Dave

PG4I

Re: A 'dead band'. But...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:40:09 UTC »
Congrats! What kind of antenna were you using and at what height?

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 15:12:53 UTC »
Hi Joop!
The antenna is a 5 band 2 element quad. In this photo it is at its full height - about 11m, but I very seldom have it elevated, in fact I've only wound it up twice in the past year and normally the centre of the quad is at about 7 metres.

72, Dave
Dave

PG4I

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:12:06 UTC »
Very nice Dave!

Been using dipole antennas so far... Guess I should start thinking about erecting a beam or quad. I am going to buy a mast with a winch, so I can take it down easily when it's windy. Maybe a spider-beam will do, it is very light so I don't have to use any guys.

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 14:46:38 UTC »
A spider beam could be a good option Joop. Nice and light and doesn't need a heavy-duty, expensive rotator. Reviews on EHam are very good and quite a lot of expeditions are using spider beams.

Dave
Dave