Quick Login

Author Topic: On holiday with my HW8  (Read 1197 times)

PG4I

On holiday with my HW8
« on: January 28, 2015, 16:43:24 UTC »
I took my recently aquired HW8 to the Dutch coast. I am close to Vlissingen, or Flushing as they say in english, for one week. My antenna is 40 meters of wire up in the trees, I only operate on 40 meters.

It's been a long time since I owned one of these rigs. It suffers from broadcast interference in the evening hours, hopefully I can fix this sometime. I made about 20 QSO's in a couple of days, mostly western europe. TX/RX shift seems to be a bit high, around 1 kHz. The antennatuner also needs some work, inductance wasn't high enough for 80 meters. Also, the SWR meter appeared to be broken, so I had to use a homemade impedance meter to search for resonance... :-)

I worked one member so far: G4GIY!

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: On holiday with my HW8
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 22:05:53 UTC »
Congratulations Joop! I hope you were not too cold!!!
I find 40m and 80m difficult here as I have a high noise level and my vertical antenna isn't good for short distance. I've still no QRPc members worked this year :-(

I took my recently aquired HW8 to the Dutch coast. I am close to Vlissingen, or Flushing as they say in english, for one week. My antenna is 40 meters of wire up in the trees, I only operate on 40 meters.

It's been a long time since I owned one of these rigs. It suffers from broadcast interference in the evening hours, hopefully I can fix this sometime. I made about 20 QSO's in a couple of days, mostly western europe. TX/RX shift seems to be a bit high, around 1 kHz. The antennatuner also needs some work, inductance wasn't high enough for 80 meters. Also, the SWR meter appeared to be broken, so I had to use a homemade impedance meter to search for resonance... :-)

I worked one member so far: G4GIY!
Dave

PG4I

Re: On holiday with my HW8
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 20:10:53 UTC »
hello Dave and others...

arrived home this morning. I made a total of 25 QSO's. 40 meters is lots of fun with a lot of QRP activity going on around 7040. I met one other member: diego IW2MXE. My best 2 way QRP QSO was with YU1CA from belgrade, a distance of 1372 km.