Quick Login

Author Topic: Howdy  (Read 1267 times)

Offline VA3QV

• Able Seaman
    • The Amateur Radio World of VA3QV
Howdy
« on: February 17, 2016, 13:15:46 UTC »
I guess this is where I introduce my self...

VA3QV....  Name is Bob and I'm located in Ottawa Ontario (FN25). 

Using a Flex 1500 at home with a 55 foot (aprox) end fed inverted vee wire with 4 radials.  The set up needs a 4:1 balun and I feed the balun with an Elecraft T1 QRP Auto tuner  I operate ssb, cw and psk 31 at this time.  Not really into contesting but the contest are where most of the other guys are and they tend to have better hearing towards the end of the contests   Very limited space for antennas...  Allowed to have antennas at home but limited as they must stay within the confines of my 20 foot by 20 foot backyard.  Gotta keep everything in my own space

But I have managed WAS (SSB and CW), DXCC (Mixed and SSB) ...  Sitting at 67 dxcc (CW) and there is 10 dxcc (psk) and I'm just starting out in digital.  All these were made QRP with the antenna mentioned above

During the summer times my wife and myself head out for week long trips in our old (but paid for) rv.  There I use a yaesu FT 817, LDG QRP Auto Tuner and a NUE PSK Modem.  Antennas choices  range but the favourites are the PAR END FEDZ QRP (10-20-40) antenna in a vertical configuration supported by the S9 43 foot telescopic antenna (clamped to the ladder on the rear of the RV).  I find that using the ldg tuner makes it tolerable everywhere between 10m and 40m and no counterpoises/radials needed making the campsites neater. (and wife happier)

I also have a buddistick on a camera tripod which works well from 6m to 40m. 

If I need 80m/160m  I have a homebrewed W3EDP antenna (84 foot long, 17 foot counterpoise fed with a 4:1 balun which makes a great NVIS antenna on 40 and 80 if I can find the space to stretch it out horizontally our from the luggage rack on the campers roof.  Not the most efficient on 160 but will load up with the tuner doing most of the work.

QSL via EQSL or LoTW (preferred)...

Hope to get you guys in the log...

73bob

ps... I do blog about my ham radio experiences.... Not sure if I'm supposed to mention it here so ... no direct mention will be made.... but a google search of my callsign or qrz page should fill in anything I forgot to tell you...

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 22:10:24 UTC »
Welcome Bob!
You've written a great intro and your QRZ entry is very entertaining too. Well done!
I hope that some day we can work /P to /P QRP.
Dave