Ham Radio Activity > Telegraphy

Portable QRP setups - what do you use?

(1/6) > >>

m0ser:
We all enjoy /p QRP work and there is nothing better than seeing other peoples setups/kit/go-cases.

I use a KX3 portable with various antennas (incl. the g-whips).

Here are a snap from recent /p trip.

73 de Carl M0SER

KI6J:
Hi OM,

Here is a package that I use often, and I have had a lot of fun with this station.

It is an ATS3b with band modules du jour, EFHW tuner, alkaline battery pack, homebrew paddles, waterproof logbook and watch, string and lanyards for rigging, and earbuds.  The station fits in the canvas bag, and weighs about 1 kg.

m0jha:
I use a kx1 or the HB1B with an EMTECH ZM2 tuner . I tend to go with a simple "random" end fed wire chucked up a tree or anywhere convenient . Key is a palm mini paddle or an MFJ mini paddle as backup.

I have tried all manner of combinations but found one of the above rigs ,a small AA cell battery pack and a small diameter wire that fits on a small fishing line spool a very light and hassle free set up. The KX1 has an atu built in so if I use that rig the setup is very small..

When I first started /p I ended up taking everything but the kitchen sink so now I make it as minimalist as possible .. I have found the end fed wire a good simple antenna that can be deployed almost anywhere .. Many times I have had to have it slung across fences or held up no higher that I can reach and it always does ok ..

billy

DF5WW:
Not /P yet but on a good way to start /P next year when the temperatures are a bit higher.

Have a 12m GFK pole (Spiderbeam Heavy Duty) and a ZM-4 Z-Match from QRP-Shop. Looking for a small TRX to start /P. A QRP SDR isnĀ“t my dream of QRP/P, always a Computer needed and that needs 2 much battery power  :D

GM0LVI:

--- Quote from: m0ser on December 16, 2013, 22:23:52 UTC ---We all enjoy /p QRP work and there is nothing better than seeing other peoples setups/kit/go-cases.

I use a KX3 portable with various antennas (incl. the g-whips).

Here are a snap from recent /p trip.

73 de Carl M0SER

--- End quote ---

Hi Carl,
The mag loop in the photo intrigues me. Is it homebrew or a commercial one?

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version