Quick Login

Author Topic: SUCCESS!  (Read 1000 times)

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
SUCCESS!
« on: February 05, 2014, 20:12:12 UTC »
Today, just now I was in QSO with Dave W2VW and the group, with my single tube 45 Transmitter using Loop modulation, an old design from about 1919. The contact was on 40M in AM. Three good solid exchanges despite some nearby QRM and band conditions. Audio is a bit funky but it was a huge success for me. Output is around 5 to 7 watts on CW so it would be reduced on AM so maybe 4.5 watts. Said I was having no trouble "making the trip" but the audio is "different". The old TNT transmitter is not the most stable unit . Contact was made on 7295. I would just like to say the Hams like Dave who will make the time and effort to listen for you an set up a sked are worth their weight in gold. He had heard me yesterday but wasn't warmed up at about the time I quit for the day so emailed me to give me a heads up. Said he has it recorded. Dave is into QRP and has a wonderful shack I see from the pics on QRZ.com. (Also a nice Mic collection) It will probably take a month to wipe the smile off of my face. After the AM party this weekend I will put the TNT back on the shelf for polishing till next year.  What a day!
Don Ve3LYX

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
Re: SUCCESS!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 23:02:47 UTC »
Dream come true territory for certain, Don. Well done!!  :D

Vic /colour me envious.....

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
Re: SUCCESS!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 23:55:47 UTC »
Thanks. It may be a world record for Loop Modulation. I don't know. (369 miles ATCF)Thanks though. Sure is exciting. Especially since a lot of folks told me it couldn't wouldn't shouldn't wont work. Loop Modulation scheme is from about 1919 in Britain. I figured if it worked in 1919 it will work in 2014. Also have it on my solid State QRP rig.
Don