Quick Login

Author Topic: Calling Frequency  (Read 2157 times)

Offline ka4rur

• Leading Rate
Calling Frequency
« on: January 11, 2014, 16:02:37 UTC »
Here's my question -You make your CQ on the QRP calling frequencies -- you make a contact do you QSY to another frequency? or do you stay on the calling frequency an continue your QSO? de ka4rur/qrp

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
Re: Calling Frequency
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 16:46:41 UTC »
The calling frequecy is not exact for ex. 14060, it is the area arround it as i understand. I usaly using som fq near, ex. 14062 or 14058 for my cq. i newer heard anyone moving from the calling fq even if they are exact at 14060. 8)
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

PG4I

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 17:10:03 UTC »
I have never seen anyone QSY after calling cq on 14060... As Jenny says: it is just a spot to indicate where QRP activity is.

DF5WW

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 17:11:34 UTC »
In the bandplans is no "calling frequency" for QRP. Only a "center of activity". If i make a call there i donĀ“t move to another qrg for the qso.

Offline ka4rur

• Leading Rate
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 17:46:31 UTC »
Calling frequencies are generally accepted ham agreements or Arrl (In my case) recommendations to where to make a general call for the various modes and activities. If after tuning the range for the mode you are using, no activity is heard, the calling frequencies are a good place to call CQ.  After a contact is made it is best to move off of the calling frequency to continue the QSO so that others can use it for its intended purpose.

Whenever groups tend to congregate at particular frequencies, those frequencies are known as calling frequencies.

I did this just to see what other was thinking, I have been into QRP for over 35 yrs, started with a HW-8 and B&W window mount antenna.

REF: ARRl/Ham Radio for Dummies/AC6V's HF Ref Guide

Offline ka4rur

• Leading Rate
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 23:37:59 UTC »
It has been said that if you gathered 100 QRPer's together in one room and asked them about QRP you would assuredly get 100 separate answer to the question. Thanks for all the input de ka4rur/qrp