Quick Login

Author Topic: Hello from Kentucky USA  (Read 1092 times)

Offline kk4uto

• Able Seaman
Hello from Kentucky USA
« on: December 25, 2014, 12:51:00 UTC »
Sorta new to Ham. Got my ticket a year a But no funds to purchase a radio of any kind. That is changing. I have an FT817ND and Z817 tuner under the tree right now. Just waiting for all family to get here so I can play. LOL. Looking forward to having so interesting QSO's with some of you folks. My dad was a ham in the 60's and 70's and is the one that is giving me the rig now. My home QTH is a bit limited. I'm in a bit of a hole with a 200 ft hill due south of me. But both west to east is clear so should be able to hit Europe and all of the USA.

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: Hello from Kentucky USA
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 20:16:24 UTC »
Hi Steven!
Happy Christmas and welcome to the club.
The FT-817 is a super little radio, I had one for a few years and worked a lot of pretty good DX on it and several QRPc members use FT-817s.
You'll now need to start thinking about the best possible antenna you can put up at your home QTH and also if you want to get more fun, what portable antennas you could build or buy.

Hope to get you in my log before too long.

73/72, Dave
Dave

DF5WW

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 21:09:59 UTC »
Merry Xmas and HNY Steven,

think that nice li´l Radio will give you some fun. After my comeback to hamradio in march 2008 i startet with a FT-817ND and i could use only indoor antennas. My first "far" DX was ZL3RG at 30 meters in PSK 31 and i´m very happy. Meanwhile i´m back at CW only but also with QRP and indoors. Any day a lot of fun ....

Welcome aboard and hope to catch you .... 73´s ... DF5WW

Offline KC8AON

• Chief Petty Officer
    • KC8AON's QRP World
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 15:31:18 UTC »
Sorta new to Ham. Got my ticket a year a But no funds to purchase a radio of any kind. That is changing. I have an FT817ND and Z817 tuner under the tree right now. Just waiting for all family to get here so I can play. LOL. Looking forward to having so interesting QSO's with some of you folks. My dad was a ham in the 60's and 70's and is the one that is giving me the rig now. My home QTH is a bit limited. I'm in a bit of a hole with a 200 ft hill due south of me. But both west to east is clear so should be able to hit Europe and all of the USA.

Build or buy an 80 meter off center fed dipole cut for 80 meters.  It will cover 80,40,20,17,12,10, and 6 meters if built right without a tuner but your tuner will come in handy to touch up the swr where its higher and probably allow you to operate the bands the antenna is not designed for.  Get the center up at least 30 to 35 feet and the ends at least 20 feet high.  With that one single antenna you should be able to work the world when conditions are good.  Also, take time to learn CW as it will work when no other mode will, especially at 5 watts and less ! I worked Bulgaria from Southern Ohio on mine just yesterday on 40 meters. Good luck !