Quick Login

Author Topic: Portable QRP setups - what do you use?  (Read 15716 times)

Offline m0ser

• Leading Rate
    • www.chatsworthproductions.com
Portable QRP setups - what do you use?
« on: December 16, 2013, 22:23:52 UTC »
We all enjoy /p QRP work and there is nothing better than seeing other peoples setups/kit/go-cases.

I use a KX3 portable with various antennas (incl. the g-whips).

Here are a snap from recent /p trip.

73 de Carl M0SER

Offline KI6J

• Petty Officer
Re: Portable QRP setups - what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 00:31:19 UTC »
Hi OM,

Here is a package that I use often, and I have had a lot of fun with this station.

It is an ATS3b with band modules du jour, EFHW tuner, alkaline battery pack, homebrew paddles, waterproof logbook and watch, string and lanyards for rigging, and earbuds.  The station fits in the canvas bag, and weighs about 1 kg.

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 09:23:54 UTC »
I use a kx1 or the HB1B with an EMTECH ZM2 tuner . I tend to go with a simple "random" end fed wire chucked up a tree or anywhere convenient . Key is a palm mini paddle or an MFJ mini paddle as backup.

I have tried all manner of combinations but found one of the above rigs ,a small AA cell battery pack and a small diameter wire that fits on a small fishing line spool a very light and hassle free set up. The KX1 has an atu built in so if I use that rig the setup is very small..

When I first started /p I ended up taking everything but the kitchen sink so now I make it as minimalist as possible .. I have found the end fed wire a good simple antenna that can be deployed almost anywhere .. Many times I have had to have it slung across fences or held up no higher that I can reach and it always does ok ..

billy
Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

DF5WW

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 10:42:12 UTC »
Not /P yet but on a good way to start /P next year when the temperatures are a bit higher.

Have a 12m GFK pole (Spiderbeam Heavy Duty) and a ZM-4 Z-Match from QRP-Shop. Looking for a small TRX to start /P. A QRP SDR isn´t my dream of QRP/P, always a Computer needed and that needs 2 much battery power  :D

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 14:18:53 UTC »
We all enjoy /p QRP work and there is nothing better than seeing other peoples setups/kit/go-cases.

I use a KX3 portable with various antennas (incl. the g-whips).

Here are a snap from recent /p trip.

73 de Carl M0SER

Hi Carl,
The mag loop in the photo intrigues me. Is it homebrew or a commercial one?

Dave
Dave

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
  • The world is too small for QRO.
    • QRP Club
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 20:23:01 UTC »
72 de Nicola

Offline KG4KGL

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 18:51:28 UTC »
K1 2 band model with filter boards for  80, 40, 30, and 20m

Navy flameproof straight key
J-38 straight key

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline m0ser

• Leading Rate
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 01:46:35 UTC »
Looks like the wonderwand  or miracle whip loop tuner to me ..

http://www.hamradio.co.uk/aerials-amateur-antennas-portable-antennas-wonder-portable-antennas/wonder-wand/wonderwand-wonderloop-14mhz-50mhz-pd-5208.php

Hi Dave,

It seems others have jumped in. Yes, it is indeed a commercial one. I've used it a little and its impressive - the first day I broke a pile up in Italy (no idea how!!) using 5w CW. I think it was pure luck. Its very delicate to tune but I'm amazed a HF antenna that works on 20m can fit comfortably in my pocket!

I think they are much better than the vertical equivalent.

Cheers,
Carl

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 10:26:56 UTC »
sorry for "jumping" in

Offline m0ser

• Leading Rate
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 12:02:26 UTC »
sorry for "jumping" in

:-) that wasn't a critisism. It's all good

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 21:02:24 UTC »
I'm tempted to try one albeit a homebrew one .I tried a small mag loop a while back that worked quite well but that was about 1m diameter made from thin wire but needed a frame .. I used a miracle whip for a few summers and found that worked well with counterpoise wires ..

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 22:03:36 UTC »
I'm tempted to try one albeit a homebrew one .I tried a small mag loop a while back that worked quite well but that was about 1m diameter made from thin wire but needed a frame .. I used a miracle whip for a few summers and found that worked well with counterpoise wires ..

I quite fancy a try at homebrewing one. The Wonder Loop looks OK but I'm not convinced about its efficiency and at £91 it ain't cheap. The AlexLoop Walkham looks well engineered and packs away to a fairly portable package but it's $USD 299 and that's without postage costs.

KF5CZO has written quite a number of articles about constructing small mag loops (just do a web search). There's a very informative article in pdf format by him here>
http://www.cvarc.org/new-wp/download/technical/magnetic_loop_antenna.pdf

Dave
Dave

Offline m0ser

• Leading Rate
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 01:03:17 UTC »
It's interesting as it was the Alex loop which I originally considered but the cost was the issue - its really expensive! I agree with the point on efficiency re the little wonder loop - its extremely high Q and does work but what the losses are I don't know?! pretty high ESP on the lower bands I would guess?

For those in the know (not myself) a home brew could be very much the way forward.

For interest I think I paid around £60 direct from the maker at a Rally earlier this year.

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 18:26:46 UTC »
I made this one a while back but with a small tuning polyvaricon

http://www.g4fon.net/MagLoop.htm

worked well but supporting it was a bit of a hassle ..