Quick Login

Author Topic: Logging with log4OM or ....  (Read 2999 times)

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
Logging with log4OM or ....
« on: January 22, 2014, 16:13:02 UTC »
Here i wonder what logging programs used in the club? I was using HRD but are now over to Log4OM, it is simpler and i had some stability problems with hrd. But i still use HRDlog.net and recently activated Clublog.
Log4OM is automatically uploading all my loggings to both HRDlog and Clublog and LOTW, nice.
So what do you use and why? :o
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

VE2TH

Re: Logging with log4OM or ....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 18:19:56 UTC »
Hello Jenny,

Here I use LOGIC 9 which is a good one, I can print some records like DXCC/WAS/WAZ, etc.

On these sheet which I  can print, I can find instantly something which look like log pages, such as

Call/QRG/COUNTRIES/DATE/TIME/BAND and if the QSO IS CONFIRMED OR NOT.

So it is useful if I want to apply for an award along with a GCR list signed by 2 radio amateurs.

So that is the good thing of this electronic log.

The bad thing, is the small book which comes with the program, is not clear if I want to add OR REMOVE some features,

1- I need a better instruction book as the one's we can find  for other subjects in the world of computer.
    I 'm searching for a book which something like " LOGIC FOR THE DUMMIES" but it doesn't exist yet.

2- I'm looking for a better logging program which should be convivial and written in simple language.
    This way, it would be much easier for a newbee like me to configurate a log program.

3- I always use at the same time my old trusty paper log.

My XYL Georgette VE2RH, use HRD but she is still trying to find how she can print statistics like I talked earlier. She would like to ask the log to sort for exemple, all the Islands for IOTA or DXCC or whatever,
like LOGIC 9 DO.

By the way, anyone else can tell me if a dedicated book for a Logging program like :

XXX  Logger for the dummies exist somewhere ?

I found nothing yet on the web, but with the huge bunch of friends here may be ?

Any idea ?

72, Michel VE2TH QRP

DF5WW

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 18:44:16 UTC »
Hi Jenny,

nice 2 see you as a L4O user ....  DF5WW, Beta Test Team  ;)

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 19:02:54 UTC »
Hi Cap'n Jenny!

I rely on a paper log.  It didn't crash yet AND it's low fat, very high fibre. ;D

Electronic logging is a novelty to me  (very hard to teach an old Ship's Cat new tricks!!). I like linux much more than Window$ so if I ever use a logging program long term it would probably have to be CQRLOG.  I do not know that prog yet; I hope it will export in adif format for uploading to QRZ and eQSL now and again.

Off topic, but maybe useful to someone: there are Linux versions of FLDIGI and CHIRP. I hope one day my shack computer will be Linux only, not Lin/Win dual boot.

Vic /feeling very tired today for some reason.... time for a catnap  :)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 19:53:45 UTC »
I started using DXBase in 1994 (had to enter 4 years of earlier QSOs - a real pain!) and I continued to use it through a number of new versions/upgrades as far as 'DXBase 2005', until last year when because it was no longer being supported by the original publisher I decided to look elsewhere.
Since last summer I've been using Winlog32. It's free but I made a donation. Support is pretty good either by a user-group or direct from the author Colin G0CUZ. Unfortunately there's no proper printed manual and I find the on-screen help/instructions quite difficult to follow in some instances. It's not as flexible as DXBase was when it comes to printing statistical reports but for 'freeware' it's pretty good.

When I worked my last contest (CQWW-CW (QRP)) I used SD (Superduper) by Paul EI5DI, I've also used it in the distant past during the IOTA contest it's very easy to use and to export logs in Cabrillo format.

I'm now doing much research looking for an all singing, all dancing, log that a geriatric ham could use without tearing out what remains of his hair.
Once upon a time I was at the leading edge of computer technlogy and spent some years teaching it, but now I feel more like I'm at the bleeding edge ;D
Dave

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 21:24:16 UTC »
Just installed Log4OM and have manged to get it talking to the cluster and my KX3.

I'm very, very impressed with it. The standard of documentation, all 182 pages of it, is really first class and must have taken many hours to write.
Next step is to sort out uploads to LoTW and I also want to see if I can configure the log page to show the power I'm using.
For a piece of free software it's utterly amazing!!!
Dave