Quick Login

Author Topic: New antenna OK for DX -maybe!  (Read 1420 times)

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
New antenna OK for DX -maybe!
« on: February 12, 2014, 20:04:19 UTC »
The vertical centre fed dipole seems to be working as I'd hoped. A strong US station was working a string of EU ops. I couldn't hear the EU stations at all, so it's possible the antenna doesn't respond well to higher angle signals. This is a Good Thing. I worked a couple of stations across the pond without much difficulty but I think my 599s  reports may have been courtesy 599s rather than genuine! ;D

More than a late afternoon hour is needed to evaluate any antenna, so if it survives tonight's gales, I'll try my luck again tomorrow.

Vic /so far, so good... :)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: New antenna OK for DX -maybe!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 20:15:49 UTC »

Have you tried looking on the Reverse Beacon Network at your signal Vic, it will give a pretty good indication as to how well and where your signal is being received. I use it quite a bit and it can be very reassuring to know your signal is audible when no one is answering your CQs.

The vertical centre fed dipole seems to be working as I'd hoped. A strong US station was working a string of EU ops. I couldn't hear the EU stations at all, so it's possible the antenna doesn't respond well to higher angle signals. This is a Good Thing. I worked a couple of stations across the pond without much difficulty but I think my 599s  reports may have been courtesy 599s rather than genuine! ;D

More than a late afternoon hour is needed to evaluate any antenna, so if it survives tonight's gales, I'll try my luck again tomorrow.

Vic /so far, so good... :)
Dave

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 23:49:13 UTC »

Have you tried looking on the Reverse Beacon Network at your signal Vic, it will give a pretty good indication as to how well and where your signal is being received. I use it quite a bit and it can be very reassuring to know your signal is audible when no one is answering your CQs.

Strangest thing Dave; I replied to your post along the lines that if you'd ever heard my CW you'd know why I didn't get replies. But that post vanished. Never mind, it gives me the chance to come back and tell you I'd tried reverse beacon.

Astonishing use of technology: there it was, the only CQ call I'd made today, picked up at W3LPL 3500 miles away.  Thanks for the heads up: this looks really useful.

Vic /gobsmacked

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 23:58:29 UTC »

Strangest thing Dave; I replied to your post along the lines that if you'd ever heard my CW you'd know why I didn't get replies. But that post vanished. Never mind, it gives me the chance to come back and tell you I'd tried reverse beacon.
I've just spent an hour working down the bands from 17m - 30m watching the spots and found it very interesting seeing the difference in signal levels. Only one QSO though!!
Astonishing use of technology: there it was, the only CQ call I'd made today, picked up at W3LPL 3500 miles away.  Thanks for the heads up: this looks really useful.

Vic /gobsmacked
Dave

VE2TH

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 01:16:31 UTC »

That's great Vic, we would like to see some photo of your vertical.

Tell me if you put some guys wire or rather nylon cords at least 4 instead of 3.
Because as you may know if you put only 3 and one broke the two others will bring back the vertical.
Four are more solid.

And we might try a sked together ?

72 Michel

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 13:33:14 UTC »
Ok Michel,

The weather calmed down enough for photography so I'll put a couple of posts in the Antenna section.

Vic