Quick Login

Author Topic: Nye SpeedX on new base  (Read 2746 times)

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
Nye SpeedX on new base
« on: January 22, 2014, 20:53:32 UTC »
The Subject says it all, really.   After a bit of a clean up, I mounted the key on a steel base I had drilled, tapped and painted.  By some fluke the holes lined up so I was able to screw the thing down.  I'm not happy with the brass machine screws I used, which were dome head.  I'm on the look out now for similar size brass raised head screws, which I think will have a less intrusive look.  Total weight is a smidgen over 1kilo.

Vic / off to burnish the deckheads.....

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: Nye SpeedX on new base
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 00:37:07 UTC »
Oh! I had one of those speed keys that I'd mounted on a mahogany base but gave it away to one of my XYL's school pupils who was showing an interest in morse  :'(
Dave

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 01:24:09 UTC »
Oh! I had one of those speed keys that I'd mounted on a mahogany base but gave it away to one of my XYL's school pupils who was showing an interest in morse  :'(

Ouch!!  Check this out Dave:-  http://www.morsex.com/nye/index.htm    :o

I reckon they're classics, been in production 75+ years. Nothing exotic about 'em, just very nice design that works well.  Originally I believe  they were supposed to be screwed down onto operating position: the fixing holes are countersunk for woodscrews!   Anchored to a slab of steel works pretty well too.  Would you believe the knob is at the same height as that on the Kent key I mounted recently? Strange but true....

So, pleased, I sent pic to son at uni via Facebook.  He replied "Looks cool but have you considered an attached Expresso machine?" Maybe morse keys too complicated for today's students. <sigh...>   ;D

Out of curiosity, how long have you been a member of the Nessie persuasion?    :)

Cheers,

Vic

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 21:36:41 UTC »
I suspect my SpeedX may have been a rip-off copy as it was all brass.
As far as 'Nessie' goes, she just appeared the other day thanks to Nicola and I'm pleased to be doing my little bit for the Scottish tourist industry. I've also done a bit of salt water sailing around the islands on our west coast.

Back to keys -
There's a straight key activity month on the go at present using the call K3Y/#n - details on QRZ.
My only straight key now is the ex WD one in the photo. At home I use the ETM-9C memory keyer, it lets me drink coffee while calling CQ. Out portable and abroad I use the Paddlette as it's nice and small and light and has 2 memories and is again handy for protracted CQing.

Dave

Dave

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:15:10 UTC »

My only straight key now is the ex WD one in the photo. At home I use the ETM-9C memory keyer, it lets me drink coffee while calling CQ. Out portable and abroad I use the Paddlette as it's nice and small and light and has 2 memories and is again handy for protracted CQing.

Dave

Mmmmmm....   ETM-9c,  definitely a classic, well worth sticking to: I should have got one when I had the chance.  Still, I've recently finished fettling my Dewsbury masterkeyer and despite my best efforts, it's still working so I'll keep that in reserve until I take myself off the straight key.  I have a military key too, "Key WT 8 Amp MkII", 1939 vintage.  Not exactly one of those boutique keys hand crafted by gnomes, in an enchanted cave, from titanium, with platinum contacts and a knob carved from a piece of the most endangered tree species they could find but it is earthquake proof and it gets the job done just fine.  I'm not going to part with it: it's now of the few things round here older than I am.

Gotta get cracking, my rotary encoder died a horrible death yesterday (very painful) & I have a sked this evening....

Cheers,

Vic