Quick Login

Author Topic: Cable for paddles  (Read 2858 times)

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
Cable for paddles
« on: February 11, 2014, 13:22:30 UTC »
This sounds so stupid: I finally gave myself permission to use paddles again and discovered they have a lead terminated by a whacking great 1/4"  (6.35mm) jack plug. The world has moved on and my TXs have 3.5mm jack plugs for keys/paddles. I want to be able to use rig internal keyers as well as my old memory keyer.

The cable on my paddle was figure-8 twin screened audio cable, too fat to pass down the shroud of a 3.5mm jack.  My local electronics supplier had nothing which would do the job. (they sell jacks but not cable to fit?   ???). So I checked around and found the solution in 4 conductor fire/burglar alarm cable.

OK, one conductor too many, but not a problem, outside diameter 3.5mm, each conductor rated at 1A, plenty for this application.

So if you have a paddle rewire in mind and no cable to fit, try your local security alarm shop.

Vic

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: Cable for paddles
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 16:24:35 UTC »
Cable from a dead computer mouse might have done the job Vic. I never throw a dead mouse away!!
Dave

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 18:14:43 UTC »
ARGGGHHHHH!!!!!   I ceremonially killed one yesterday.  The XYL was trying to get some work done at home when her laptop went mad.  She came close to binning it out of sheer frustration.  The screen kept filling with hundreds of windows. A couple of reboots later I realised her usb mouse was firing left clicks like a machine gun, all by itself.  Every time the pointer went over anything clickable it generated another window. It was funny but I didn't dare laugh.  I tried a replacement mouse and problem gone.

The guilty party was painlessly put down with the aid of a 3lb lumping hammer and the corpse presented to the Boss, who was mollified.  If I can find it I could cut its tail off and save it for a travelling paddle. Thanks for a great idea, Dave: it's filed away now.

Nip up to Mike's Tavern and have a drink on me.   ;D

Vic

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:37:25 UTC »
ARGGGHHHHH!!!!!   I ceremonially killed one yesterday.  The XYL was trying to get some work done at home when her laptop went mad.  She came close to binning it out of sheer frustration.  The screen kept filling with hundreds of windows. A couple of reboots later I realised her usb mouse was firing left clicks like a machine gun, all by itself.  Every time the pointer went over anything clickable it generated another window. It was funny but I didn't dare laugh.  I tried a replacement mouse and problem gone.

The guilty party was painlessly put down with the aid of a 3lb lumping hammer and the corpse presented to the Boss, who was mollified.  If I can find it I could cut its tail off and save it for a travelling paddle. Thanks for a great idea, Dave: it's filed away now.

Nip up to Mike's Tavern and have a drink on me.   ;D

Vic
Nice cat, doing his duties. Giving him a herring for dinner.
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

Offline VK6MB

• Midshipman
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:36:02 UTC »
ARGGGHHHHH!!!!!   I ceremonially killed one yesterday. 
Plenty in the Tavern, Jenny

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 13:00:35 UTC »
ARGGGHHHHH!!!!!   I ceremonially killed one yesterday. 
Plenty in the Tavern, Jenny

Plenty of Heering in the tavern? Great, I'll have a double, maybe with a cherry on top!!  ;D

I could use something to warm myself up:  I've just come in from putting extra guys on my glassfibre verticals because we're expecting a bit of a blow around 18.00 UTC. Cold & wet out there.

Vic /shivering

Offline VK6MB

• Midshipman
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 13:08:16 UTC »
I could use something to warm myself up:  I've just come in from putting extra guys on my glassfibre verticals because we're expecting a bit of a blow around 18.00 UTC. Cold & wet out there.

Vic /shivering
Maybe a port wine?
Keep safe there, Vic

72 73 Mike VK6MB