Quick Login

Author Topic: QRP Club Contest 2014: Discussion  (Read 22008 times)

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
  • The world is too small for QRO.
    • QRP Club
Re: QRP Club Contest: Discussion
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2013, 15:49:45 UTC »
Ok, ok: 5 watts.
72 de Nicola

Offline ve3fal

• Leading Rate
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 00:25:00 UTC »
What is best method to know who is active and on the air...It is a long shot at times to work another member in the blind.

I am good to go all bands 160-10 cw qrp..

Fred
VE3FAL/QRP

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
    • QRP Club
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 09:28:23 UTC »
What is best method to know who is active and on the air...It is a long shot at times to work another member in the blind.

You can see the list of online members (click here) but obviously it's not a cluster.  ::)

72 de Nicola

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 20:16:12 UTC »
Fred
VE3FAL/QRP
One way might be to self spot on the DX Cluster. ""GM0LVI.. 28.060...GM0LVI/QRP..."CQ QRPC TEST""
Dave

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
    • QRP Club
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 02:00:04 UTC »
We have a little cluster: beta version here::)
72 de Nicola

PG4I

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 10:58:43 UTC »
Is self-spotting allowed?

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
    • QRP Club
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 11:03:22 UTC »
72 de Nicola

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 11:35:28 UTC »
Thanks for the QRP cluster Nicola. It's just great!

Dave
Dave

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
    • QRP Club
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:37 UTC »
Thanks for the QRP cluster Nicola. It's just great!

Dave

Thank you, Dave.  :)
72 de Nicola

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 13:57:41 UTC »
 ???  is it bad conditions to day? This night i got 9K2 stn on 30 m, but now Good Old England is difficult. Iput some of my calls on the cluster as you see but not much response. Sure it will be more when operators start to use it. Look at RBN and search on my call sm5mek, i was out there making some noise.  ;D Sure.
Good work making this cluster soo fast. TNX and good weekend.
PS: Is this cluster stand alone or is it reporting to the big net also? My guess is stand alone?

Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
    • QRP Club
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 14:17:18 UTC »
PS: Is this cluster stand alone or is it reporting to the big net also? My guess is stand alone?

Stand-alone.
72 de Nicola

PG4I

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 19:26:13 UTC »
If I make a QSO I want to check if the callsign is a QRP club member. I can of course examine the complete memberlist, if there was a way to query this list this would even be better! :)

PG4I

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 19:39:40 UTC »
Bummer! Just discovered "search for member" under the Members button at top of the page. Sorry about the previous post...  ::)

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2014, 12:28:13 UTC »
I'm a new member:  I quickly scanned through these messages and I hope I'm not going over old ground in this post.   

I believe I saw posts agreeing that QRP was 5w for both CW and SSB.  I hope this means 5W power out at the rig because that will encourage antenna experimentation.

There are other modes of transmission than CW & SSB, for example FM, AM, digital.....  All can be effective at 5w out (or less) from transmitter final so can it be agreed that as far as this club is concerned, QRP means 5w out at the rig, regardless of mode?

Many people believe QRP = CW mode . I may be one of them. Certainly I have not yet had a digital QSO but I can see that encouraging QRP levels across all modes would make for nicer bands to explore!!  I am slowly (very slowly) finding about PSK31 but I'm an 'old dog' and everybody knows it is difficult to teach old dogs new tricks. :D

I write this to foster agreement and consensus, not to create controversy and heat, so please accept that I write this without malevolent intent.

Kindest regards,

Vic

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2014, 14:03:12 UTC »
Two posts in one day might seem excessive so I promise I won't do it too often.

Contests are popular, many ops just love them, can't get enough of them, can't imagine life without them: that's kinda natural because many people are highly competitive and even combative. Other folk like contests because they're sorta lazy: rather than take their chances and call CQ, they sniff around the edges of contests and 'give away a few points'.  These folk come away simply happy that they've been on the air and have a few more entries in their logs.  -And who is to say their approach is wrong?  Not me, although this paragraph does come across as generally critical, I have to admit.

Contests are unpopular. Many ops hate them, despise them: they claim contests ruin the bands at weekends; they have furious arguments with contesters who say they only contest at the weekends, that non contesters have the bands all week.  Digital contesters faced with crowded bands during contests sometimes do the weak thing and stray into other mode segments.  Hearts rule heads and passions run high, fuelled by the ease of making inflammatory claims and counter claims on the internet.

Where do I stand?  I stand on the middle ground.  I confess to being a keen (but undistinguished!!) contester decades ago.  But I've changed after a 20 year QRT.  Now the important thing for me when in QSO is the person at the other end, not the points the contact represents.  I've stopped being so competitive.  If I come across a pile up, rather than toss my hat into the ring and add my noise to the clamour I move onto a quieter place; the 'rare ones' will just have to wait their turn to work me some other time.

I loved this site and it's graphics from the moment I saw it; more so when I joined and saw the content.  But my heart sank when I saw the word 'Contest'. Before long there could be a panoply of rules, checks, balances, computer driven and manually administered. Huge work for those administering it. In the worst case, the contest could *become* the club. (I can think of at least one morse club where the only function now appears to be to give 'awards' to mark 'achievements'.)

Can we call this contest by another name? (Ladder??) It could perform in exactly the same way but be freed from the baggage the word 'contest' drags behind it. 

The rules do not say explicitly that it is to be a CW only contest, so I guess digital and fone contacts will be valid. I wonder if that will give digital ops an edge over other modes?

I've tried to be balanced in this post and I've tried to be constructive. If I've fallen short of the mark, let me apologise now: my motives were of the best.

Vic