Quick Login

Author Topic: Thumbs up for QRP  (Read 1560 times)

Offline ve3vvf

• Petty Officer
    • ve3vvf/qrp
Thumbs up for QRP
« on: February 02, 2016, 14:57:40 UTC »
The great thing about this hobby is that even within a sub group such as QRP there are further subdivisions.  There are the backpack/outdoor operators operating Altoids tin radios from a 9v battery and boat anchor enthusiasts whose tubes keep the shack comfortably warm.  One is low power as in not a lot of power consumed and the other is low power out of a rather large army radio using quite a bit of power in the process.  Technology has come a long way from the invention of the tube to the invention of the transistor and then as the years passed there has been the packing of these transistors into chips.  Now we are at the point, with Software-Defined Radio, where micro processors do almost all of the work that hardware used to do.  Add to all this the digital modes that have been designed to use very low power and operate almost in the noise floor.  Whether it's old, newer or newest or somewhere in between, QRPers love a challenge.  We are always looking for the most efficient battery or best gain antenna or the most portable set up all in an effort to compensate for the low power being transmitted.  I think it really fosters the Marconi in all of us as we try this or that to get the best results in an effort to get the most out of the least.
QRP - where the fun is

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: Thumbs up for QRP
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 20:13:16 UTC »
An excellent analysis of what QRP can mean Scott. Well written.

BTW one of the highlights of my QRP/P last summer was listening to the sounds of the bagpipes drifting up to our campsite from a beach. They were being played by a guy from Belgium! :))
Dave

Offline ve3vvf

• Petty Officer
    • ve3vvf/qrp
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 01:01:03 UTC »
Thanks Dave.

Bagpipes are one of those things that when you hear it, even faintly, it catches your attention.  Well, it does me anyway.  You as well, I'm sure.  Camping, QRP/p and bagpipes... what a combination.  LOL 
QRP - where the fun is

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 03:57:26 UTC »
The bagpipes are the original breathalyzer. You blow into the pipe and if it sounds good to you, you have probably had too much to drink.
donVe3LYX