Quick Login

Author Topic: New Members from Maryland  (Read 537 times)

Offline NA1DX

• Leading Rate
    • www.ellmore.net/na1dx
New Members from Maryland
« on: December 27, 2013, 16:01:03 UTC »
Hi, the Call is NA1DX.  I live east of Washington, D.C. and south of Annapolis, MD.

I got back into amateur radio in January of 2013.  Except for field day, I had been mostly off the air since 2002.  The Explorers Radio Club (NA3DX) has been active for field day since 2008.  We have been operating QRP Battery.  So, when I started operating, I decided I would start QRP.  I purchased an ICOM 703 since it had a built in tuner and a fairly good receiver.  Immediately, I was amazed at the DX I could work with a smiple OCF Buckmaster wire antenna.

I started doing radio sport a bit, with ARRL DX SSB Contest.  My CW skills were a bit stale.

I soon sold my ICOM 706MKII and got an Elecraft K3/10 for my 50th birthday.  I operated QRP for the SSB WPC and won my category.  I had not done WPX since 2001.

Then I sold the ICOM 703 and got an Elecraft KX3 for my trip to Aruba.  In Aruba I took a Buddipole and the KX3 and operated QRP during our vacation.  I casually mode some 200+ contacts as P40DE.

When I got home, I started focusing more on my CW setup.  This past fall I did ARRL SS both SSB and CW and CQ DX SSB and CW.

This year operating QRP, I completed DXCC QRP, as well as wrapped up DXCC for Mixed, Phone, 10m, 15m, and 20m.  I wrapped up WAS for Mixed and Phone as well.  About 50% of the contacts were LoTW contacts that became validated when I uploaded 1998-2001 contest logs.  The rest were mostly QRP contacts from this year.

Now I am working on DXCC for 40m, 80m, and CW, as well as, WAS CW.

Please feel free to email me at na1dx@arrl.net if you want to setup a schedule.

73, Doug, NA1DX