Quick Login

Author Topic: Brown Brothers Paddle  (Read 3783 times)

Offline VE4AKI

• Petty Officer
Brown Brothers Paddle
« on: December 29, 2017, 17:49:06 UTC »
Hello all and best wishes to all in the new year.
I recently picked up another paddle for my collection. It's a Brown Bros. paddle of the early type sold in the late '60s. it's a UTL twin lever which means it was sold without a base. I have fabricated my own base and painted it with grey hammered finish. In researching this paddle I have come to think some of the adjustment screws may not be original. After some adjustment and use I think I like it better than the later design. I am attaching a photo of the finished paddle. Thanks for looking

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: Brown Brothers Paddle
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 18:30:33 UTC »
You've done a really nice job on the base. Well done!
Dave

Offline KA0USE

• Able Seaman
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:41:06 UTC »
i REALLY need to get a new brain.
how my brain works- i like the nautical theme- plank owners, ranks, etc. there's a masthead, very nautical. i'm thinking of all things being nautical, so-
i read about this paddle thing trophy and think it a paddle for a canoe!
i cannot believe i am allowed to walk in public.
and until earlier this past summer i did, in fact, own a very nice canoe, and yes, i did have paddles for it. they were not brown, nor did they have bases. they did look nice, though, even though they were not ash, hickory, yew or cedar. they were aluminum/aluminium with plastic blades.

i have a headache....

VE2TH

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 23:46:22 UTC »
Hello Charles,

Best wishes to you and yours for the new year.

Great idea for your CW Key, it is very nice JOB, well done.

It gives me an idea, about my Yaesu FT-817. I have this one for over 10 years now, and I read on the Yahoo group FT-817 (poll) that many hams have the same problem with the top cover of the radio.

Paint chip or flake right on top. So I need to know more about the "GREY HAMMERED FINISH, as it looks like the same finish of my top cover.

Do you have the brand of that paint ? and also do you know if they different color ? As the top cover has about the same finish but a bit darker.

Thanks for any help it would be very much appreciated.

By the way I heard you on 20 meter, last week  around the QRP frequency. So I will look for you for a good QSO.

Best 72 Michel VE2TH

Offline VE4AKI

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 17:09:58 UTC »
Hi Michel. Thanks for the kind words. The paint I used was a Tremclad product called Hammer finish charcoal grey. I think I got it at Canadian Tire. It is a good match for the finish on some Kenwood transceivers, close but not identical. I have used it for a number of projects for the shack. I also used it to paint the wheels on my old Mazda Miata hi hi. I'm not sure but I think it may come in other colors. I have heard you as well and I think we have worked in the past. I monitor 14060 a lot so will listen for you. Hope this helps------------------Tom VE4AKI

VE2TH

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 21:32:47 UTC »
Hello Tom

Great, I have found the Tremclad hammered paint at Canadian Tire, for my ft-817ND top cover, and I'm in the process to sand it with a soft sand paper.

I can't wait to see that job done, but I take my time to do a nice Job, like your paddle base.

Will let you know of my progress, once finish.

72, Michel VE2TH

VE2TH

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 00:22:57 UTC »
Hello Tom,

Great success with Tremclad hammered paint for my ft-817ND cover.

It looks like new.

Thanks for sharing this product with us, it may apply for any other projects

72, Michel VE2TH

Offline VE4AKI

• Petty Officer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 17:37:40 UTC »
Hi Michel. Glad it worked out for you. I've also had good luck with Tremclad semi-flat paint for painting aluminum. Once the piece is ready to paint I wet sand it with 400 wet and dry paper, wash it in very hot water, dry it quickly and paint it with automotive primer BEFORE it cools off. Once the primer is dry use the semiflat Tremclad. This combination seems quite durable and matches very well to a variety of
commercial finishes such as MFJ. Would love to see photos of any of your homebrew projects. When the bands are poor I'm usually in the shop building something.
73 for now---------Tom