Quick Login

Author Topic: how many cw ops?  (Read 26199 times)

Offline PA1FOX

• Able Seaman
  • Alex
Re: how many cw ops?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 20:44:11 UTC »
Hmm. As I read all the messages above...

I must be an out-of-the-way operator, having done all modes except CW for more than 25 years, but only learned CW just recently.

But hey, as they say, better late than never...
73, Alex

SKCC    #8265T
Fists      #15884
CWops  #1225

DF5WW

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2013, 11:45:18 UTC »
Hi OM,

got my first license in 1982 and the first shortwave lic. in May 1983 (DF5WW since 12/1983). From this time on CW was my favourite mode. My transceivers to this time are 10W transceivers and a FT-7B (50W) for a short time. So CW was the best mode to collect some new ones.

At the moment my qso are 60% CW, 39% Digitals and 1% SSB (only from time to time).

But yo say it right: "Better late starting with CW than never" ;-) ;-)

cu in the bands .....

B.t.w.: Would be nice if everybody has a signature with his name. Woulf be nicer to writr Hello "name" than Hello OM ;-)

Offline PA1FOX

• Able Seaman
  • Alex
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2013, 13:30:08 UTC »

B.t.w.: Would be nice if everybody has a signature with his name. Woulf be nicer to writr Hello "name" than Hello OM ;-)

Oops, sorry, just registered yesterday and had not taken the time to fill my profile.

73, Alex
:)
73, Alex

SKCC    #8265T
Fists      #15884
CWops  #1225

Offline ea1aer

• Able Seaman
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 15:05:28 UTC »
Hi all. I am a user almost exclusivament cw

Juan
  EA1AER

Offline oh9nb

• Able Seaman
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 11:36:41 UTC »
QRP and CW is for gentlemen !
DXCC 200 / 5W / 15 months.

Benny

Offline m0ser

• Leading Rate
    • www.chatsworthproductions.com
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 23:13:15 UTC »
Hi folks,

I'm a relative newbie to radio (last 10 years) and I'm exclusively CW on HF. I find it the OPs to be generally very polite and I enjoy the excitement of using a 'skill' to decode a cypher in real time.

I've been enjoying some QRP /P with my KX3 recently.

72 de Carl M0SER

Offline XQ3WD

• Able Seaman
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 12:52:53 UTC »
Hi guys

Im Fred, XQ3WD, before CE3WDD, Im cw ops since 2001, I have a MFJ-9020 with extras, and also I biult my QRPp, 500mw to 40m, and I built a sw-40 from SWL, great QRP..., I'm no expert just a fan of electronic and ham

Today I will calling CQ on 20m several times at the day testing the propagations I hope contact with any member of this group

thanks Nicola for your invitation

regards all

73dx's from FRED, XQ3WD

Offline G4COE

• Able Seaman
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 17:33:53 UTC »
Hi all, my first post here, joined a few day's ago.

Count me in, I've always operated cw since being licensed, first with a 'pump handle',  then an el key then a Vibroplex bug and now a Vibroplex  twin paddle....  these Iambics take a lot of work out of sending once they're mastered.

Trouble with El keys they are capable of sending 'perfect cw' depending on the user.... but they don't give a signature like the pump handle and the mechanical bug keys.

With mechanical keys you can tell if it's Joe, Bob or Sue with out having to wait for an ident.

Dave
G-qrp 8621

Offline M3MQR

• Able Seaman
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 20:49:47 UTC »
When I did the foundation, my tutor insisted that I learned cw, 90% of my contacts are cw. I doubt that my log book would have the contacts if I had used voice 73 David

Offline ka4rur

• Leading Rate
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 23:49:58 UTC »
I have been a cw for over 40 yrs -- 100 percent QRP station can be found on the calling freqs ....ka4rur/qrp

Offline VE1MAM

• Able Seaman
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 20:39:39 UTC »
Hi guys i am a 95% cw operator i also hold an other call sign ve9icw. I think it speaks for its self
72 gl de Marc

Offline G3VGR

• Able Seaman
    • G3VGR's Amateur Radio Website
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 09:13:06 UTC »

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 18:29:47 UTC »
love the coin over the mic socket .. even saying the word brings me out in hives :)
Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Offline GM6HGF

• Able Seaman
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 22:43:26 UTC »
I have a Palm Mini paddle for my FT-857D & FT-817ND. Superb little paddle and very neat for portable but the 3 pin connector that plugs into the rear of the paddle is very fragile. I think now they come in a self contained plastic storage box for portability. I use original cardboard box to protect it all. Kent twin paddle at home.

I really like CW (i'm not that good at it, I must say) and have a 'shaky paw' (medical) that sometimes doesn't obey what the head is saying. I do try but make mistakes so please be patient and forgiving if you hear me :-)
Fists #16218.

Offline G4GIY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 11:49:43 UTC »
I have only used CW for many years because I enjoy it.  I choose to use only QRP and CW - with these the most amazing results can be achieved.  I also struggle with home brew and CW provides plenty of challenges to my construction.  Robin