Quick Login

Author Topic: Heirloom rigs  (Read 2836 times)

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
Heirloom rigs
« on: March 12, 2014, 20:12:37 UTC »
Hi Folks,
I look in the radio magazines and see vast rigs with equally vast price tags. These things do everything, waterfall displays, digital decoding, all mode, internal tuner.  I'm impressed by the inspired use of high technology but are they wise buys?

Common sense says that those huge display screens will not be available in the spares department for ever.  The dedicated chips one day will not be replaceable.  I'm an innocent in these matters but I guess the possibility of replacing some components with 'near equivalents' is pretty remote. Those vastly expensive rigs are not destined to become working heirlooms.

So I propose a few venerable rigs that may have 100 years of QRP life in them:-

Ten Tec Century 21, Shimizu Denshi 105S, Heathkit HW series.

I guess anything with coils in the front end is a fair candidate!  So... do you have any long lived candidates to add to the list??

Vic

Offline f8wbd

• Chief Petty Officer
  • QRP CW 100%. See QRZCQ for info.
Re: Heirloom rigs
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 12:18:30 UTC »
I see you noted the HW-8 and  I agree. The 7, and 9 also. I include the OHR series of QRP rigs that have been around for a while and still available in kit form from an established firm. I suspect the FT-817, nd or non-nd, is going to be with us a while too. I have all three which constitutes my entire radio station.

In my opinion, if you are looking for longevity, the more modest the transceiver, the longer it will be operational and replacement components available. That includes rigs with the least micro-processing, SDR, DSP, and other doodads.

My opinion only.

72 Dick F8WBD
Low-tech amateur radio in a high-tech amateur radio world. 72/73 de Dick

Offline KC8AON

• Chief Petty Officer
    • KC8AON's QRP World
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 21:14:23 UTC »
Yaesu FT-7 is a very repairable rig - vintage around 1979, covers 80, 40, 20, 15, & 10 meters, about 12 watts out (mine will do 15 watts on voice peaks), does CW & SSB, and has one of the best receivers I've ever heard !

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 12:03:25 UTC »
I have been running now for the past month a No 19 MkII Canadian Wireless set. It is rated at 3 to 5 watts AM output. My particular set is 72 years old. I am very surprised at its performance as while not strong it is a very effective radio. The receiver while not super selective is sensitive and works sufficient for QSOs. I am feeding a long wire (natural length for 80M ) and use it 40m as well. I use a HB antenna tuner. My average contact range has been around 280 miles ATCF with a couple above that considerably. I run on batteries with a HB vibrator power supply. If you think this isn't fun you haven't had any. I came on a pair of these radios (I have two)by accident and they were not high on my list but wanted to save them from the land fill. I now see I did not appreciate what they had to offer. I have had more fun in the past month with the one I have running then I have had in years. Will this transceiver make 100 years. It will if I can help it! I believe it was about the second transceiver used in regular service. (No 11 transcvr preceding it)It was designed by PYE and built by Northern Electric Canada in 1943

Don VE3LYX