Quick Login

Author Topic: The 2014 CQ World-Wide DX Contest  (Read 2978 times)

Offline II5E

• Able Seaman
  • dits are less polluting than dahs
The 2014 CQ World-Wide DX Contest
« on: October 24, 2014, 00:08:16 UTC »

SSB: October 25-26     
CW: November 29-30

OBJECTIVE: For amateurs around the world to contact as many other amateurs in as many CQ zones and countries as possible.

V. ENTRY CATEGORIES:

A. Single Operator Categories: One person (the operator) performs all operating and logging functions. There is no limit on operating time or band changes. Only one transmitted signal is permitted at any time.

1. Single Operator: QSO alerting assistance of any kind is prohibited (see VIII.2).

a. High Power (All Band or Single Band): Total output power must not exceed 1500 watts.

b. Low Power (All Band or Single Band): Total output power must not exceed 100 watts.

c. QRP (All Band or Single Band): Total output power must not exceed 5 watts.

2. Single Operator Assisted: Entrants in this category may use QSO alerting assistance (see VIII.2).

a. High Power Assisted (All Band or Single Band): Total output power must not exceed 1500 watts.

b. Low Power Assisted (All Band or Single Band): Total output power must not exceed 100 watts.

c. QRP Assisted (All Band or Single Band): Total output power must not exceed 5 watts.

B. Single Operator Overlay Categories: Any All Band entrant above may ALSO enter one of the categories shown below by adding the appropriate CATEGORY-OVERLAY line in the Cabrillo log file header. Overlay category entries will be listed separately in the results; grouped by high power (1500W) and low power (100W).

1. Classic Operator (CLASSIC): The entrant will use only one radio, no QSO alerting assistance, and may operate up to 24 of the 48 hours – off times are a minimum of 60 minutes during which no QSO is logged. If the log shows more than 24 hours of operation, only the first 24 hours will be counted for the overlay score. The one radio must not be able to receive while transmitting.

2. Rookie (ROOKIE): The operator was first licensed as a radio amateur less than three (3) years before the date of the contest. Indicate the date first licensed in the SOAPBOX field.

C. Multi-Operator Categories (all-band operation only): Any number of operators is allowed. QSO alerting assistance is allowed. Only one transmitted signal per band is permitted at any time.

1. Single Transmitter (MULTI-ONE): Only one transmitted signal on one band permitted during any 10-minute period (run transmitter). Exception: One — and only one — other transmitted signal (multiplier transmitter) may be used during any 10-minute period, if — and only if — it is on a different band than the run transmitter and the station worked is a new multiplier. The run and multiplier transmitters are governed by independent 10-minute rules. Ten-minute periods begin with the first QSO on a band. The log must indicate which transmitter (run or multiplier) made each QSO. The multiplier transmitter may not call CQ (solicit contacts).

a. High Power: Total output power must not exceed 1500 watts on any band at any time.

b. Low Power: Total output power must not exceed 100 watts on any band at any time.

2. Two Transmitters (MULTI-TWO): A maximum of two transmitted signals on two different bands may be used at any time. The log must indicate which transmitter made each QSO. Each transmitter may make a maximum of 8 band changes in any clock hour (00 through 59 minutes). Total output power must not exceed 1500 watts on any band at any time.

3. Multi-Transmitter (MULTI-UNLIMITED): The six contest bands may be activated simultaneously. Only one transmitted signal per band is permitted at any time. Total output power must not exceed 1500 watts on any band at any time.

D. Checklog: Entry submitted to assist with the log checking. The entry will not have a score in the results and the log will not be made public.

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: The 2014 CQ World-Wide DX Contest
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 19:53:48 UTC »
For anyone who has never entered a contest before and would like a bit of fun, CQWW is a nice easy one.
All you need to send/copy is signal report which is normally 59 or 599, and zone. Easy with no serial numbers to copy or send!
I made an entry for QRP 15m CW last year and picked up several new band/mode DXCCs.
Dave

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:40:19 UTC »
Yepp, it is a nice easy contest, last year i operated as single operator all band qrp ssb in SAC contest. Yesterday i got my certificate for #1 in Sweden and #6 in Europe. I was not on air so many hours so try it. This year i could not do it i have other things more important to do on my cave.  :-\
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

Offline G4NRT

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 18:58:02 UTC »
Just playing with my new Buddipole on 20m, I managed to work RA1ANY in St Petersburg (about 1,500 miles) on one watt SSB with the Buddipole at just 10' above the ground!

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 20:01:50 UTC »
Just playing with my new Buddipole on 20m, I managed to work RA1ANY in St Petersburg (about 1,500 miles) on one watt SSB with the Buddipole at just 10' above the ground!

Gosh, golly David - that's quite an achievement with 1 Watt and SSB on a very short dipole.
Well done!!
I'd a Buddipole for a couple of years but now when away from home use either full size GPs or a Buddistick.

72- Dave
Dave

Offline G4NRT

• Able Seaman
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 20:11:21 UTC »

Gosh, golly David - that's quite an achievement with 1 Watt and SSB on a very short dipole.
Well done!!
I'd a Buddipole for a couple of years but now when away from home use either full size GPs or a Buddistick.

72- Dave

I think that the secret was the time I spent with my MFJ Analyser tweaking the dipole for the best possible SWR and the use of the Triple Ratio Switched Balun!

Very pleased with the BP performance though!

David

DF5WW

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:34:51 UTC »
Saturday and Sunday i participated in the CQWW SSB as SOP Single Band (10m) QRP non assisted. Claimed a score of 36095 points. The result of 227 qso with 41 DXCC entities and 18 zones .....

Worked here with only 5 watt into my homemade 1/4 wavelength wire groundplane in my attic. Now i have to wait for the results  ;) ;D

In the CW part normally i will be active as SOP Multiband QRP non assisted, but if the condx are fine maybe also only in a the single band 10m category ... I love this band when it´s open  8)

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
  • The world is too small for QRO.
    • QRP Club
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 12:08:17 UTC »
I participated with the special call II5E, but I will tell you the details in another message.

For the moment I can only show a picture (ihihih).

72 de Nicola

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 21:25:07 UTC »
Saturday and Sunday i participated in the CQWW SSB as SOP Single Band (10m) QRP non assisted. Claimed a score of 36095 points. The result of 227 qso with 41 DXCC entities and 18 zones .....

Worked here with only 5 watt into my homemade 1/4 wavelength wire groundplane in my attic. Now i have to wait for the results  ;) ;D

In the CW part normally i will be active as SOP Multiband QRP non assisted, but if the condx are fine maybe also only in a the single band 10m category ... I love this band when it´s open  8)
That's a brilliant score Juergen! I've thought about a 10m (CW) entry this year but 10m isn't very good this far north so I will probably enter single band 15m again. I came first placed GM last year though that was easy as I was the only 15m QRP entry from GM!!
Dave

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
    • QRP Club
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 08:09:45 UTC »

Congrats, Juergen!

My result:

single-op / not-assisted / 20m / qrp

claimed-score: 56.448
qso: 440 
dxcc: 76 
zones: 20 

Great mistake: I have not worked around the dawn of Saturday.  :-\
72 de Nicola

DF5WW

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 08:29:23 UTC »
Great score ... congrats ... Would be interesting to see the results when they are online ... 440 QSO looks like a top ten ranking for 20 m qrp or better  ;) ;)

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
    • QRP Club
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 11:29:36 UTC »
Great score ... congrats ... Would be interesting to see the results when they are online ... 440 QSO looks like a top ten ranking for 20 m qrp or better  ;) ;)

I don't know, I worked many european stations but I made too few DX QSOs.  ^-^
72 de Nicola

DF5WW

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 15:04:06 UTC »
Let´s wait what the result table said when it´s online  :)) ;D  I hope i´ve a top 100 inside Europe and a top ten in DL ... That would be grat  ;D ;D