Quick Login

Author Topic: Hello from GM4XQJ  (Read 1479 times)

Offline GM4XQJ

• Able Seaman
Hello from GM4XQJ
« on: May 02, 2014, 20:00:57 UTC »
Hello from Scotland.

My name is Brian and my qth is 18 miles West from Edinburgh in a town called Falkirk.

Always been interested in qrp cw. Radios are Elecraft K1, Elecraft K2, FT817, for /P operation and a TenTec Paragon and Argosy 2 from home.
I sometimes operate from CT and EA8.
I will be using the call GA4XQJ until the end of November for the Homecoming Scotland celebrations.

I hate contests because of the poor operating standards demonstrated by the majority of the operators! and therefore do not operate at weekends.

Member of GQRP Club #2743, QRP ARCI # 7644, QRP Canada # 097, 9A QRP Club # 095, Fists CW # 4861, RAOTA # 1604, ISWL # GM-14099.

Hope to work you soon.
72 de Brian GM4XQJ

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: Hello from GM4XQJ
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 23:00:48 UTC »
Hi Brian. Nice to see another GM has joined the club. We've worked a few times in the distant past mainly on 2m. I'm now virtually 100% QRP having got fed up with the QRO rat race and rapidly falling operating standards. Bought a KX3 last June and have been having loads of fun ever since. Sold my FT-1000MP Mk5 last month!
Just come off the air having worked two JAs with 5 Watts and 579 and 559 reports. There seems to be some kind of enhanced opening from about 2200 to about 2230Z on 17m - I've worked into JA at the same time for the past 3 evenings.

Slainte!
Dave
Dave

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 12:19:34 UTC »
I hate contests because of the poor operating standards demonstrated by the majority of the operators! and therefore do not operate at weekends.

No contests on WARC bands: could've been designed for weekends!!   ;D  True, I did find one calling 'fone on 10MHz this year but he was the exception. Don't often find someone with even less of a clue than me but I reckon he was one of that elite bunch.

Vic /Ship's Cat

DF5WW

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 12:35:40 UTC »
Hi Brian,

first welcome aboard ..... As QRP only i love the big intl. contests. Some countries (or prefixes) are active which you can´t work under non contest conditions. I think more than the half of my worked DXCC´s i catch in the different contests.

O.k. .... only 599/number/zone/district or province but in a DX pileup you got only a simple "599 tu" ......

But as Vic sayed .... if you don´t like the contests use 12, 17 or 30 meters. Contestfree zone in the hambands  ;) :D