Quick Login

Author Topic: Thanks for the invite  (Read 1599 times)

Offline VE6DC

• Able Seaman
  • Amateur radio is friends all around
Thanks for the invite
« on: January 08, 2014, 18:46:32 UTC »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Renze, VE6DC and live in southern Alberta.
I like camping, hiking and am interested in SOTA.

I am saving pennies to buy a QRP rig, (hopefully a KX3) and looking into what portable antenna to get.
Thinking about the SOTA Beams Band-hopper 2 but I don't like the RG174 that comes with it.
http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/antennas-hf/
May be the QRP Club can help me with finding the right portable antenna.

I am also polishing my rusty CW and am comfortable at 15 wpm receiving but my sending is not there yet.
Anyhow I am sure we will meet on the air this Summer.

73 Renze VE6DC

Offline KD8PFB

• Petty Officer
Re: Thanks for the invite
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:48:09 UTC »
Welcome Renze. I tried to get on the SOTAbeams website to learn about their antennas, but this morning it seems to have some connection speed issues. Will try again this evening when I get home from work. I did eventually get on the main page, and it looks like they are all wire antennas in fluorescent colors.

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 14:48:50 UTC »
Hi Everyone,

My name is Renze, VE6DC and live in southern Alberta.
I like camping, hiking and am interested in SOTA.

I am saving pennies to buy a QRP rig, (hopefully a KX3) and looking into what portable antenna to get.
Thinking about the SOTA Beams Band-hopper 2 but I don't like the RG174 that comes with it.
http://www.sotabeams.co.uk/antennas-hf/
May be the QRP Club can help me with finding the right portable antenna.

I am also polishing my rusty CW and am comfortable at 15 wpm receiving but my sending is not there yet.
Anyhow I am sure we will meet on the air this Summer.

73 Renze VE6DC

Hi Renze,
I just telephoned Richard at Sotabeams and mentioned your reservations about the RG174.  He as very happy to expound on his use of it, as paraphrased below.

His products are aimed squarely at folk who work /P and they're designed to be light, compact, durable and efficient. "There is no way we'd produce something which wasn't efficient for SOTA" The lengths of RG174 provided are not excessive and the loss is likely to be in the region of 1dB, which is pretty much negligible, in real terms. The compact size and low weight make a compelling combination.

The link below will probably interest and possibly reassure you if you're into RG174 losses:-
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/rg_174_coax_bryant.dx

Welcome aboard, Renze: you'll love it here.

Vic (another new boy around here)

Offline VE6DC

• Able Seaman
  • Amateur radio is friends all around
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 22:49:33 UTC »
Thanks KD8PFB and G0BVZ for replying.

Sorry I am so late responding but for a couple of weeks I did not look at the QRP Club forum.
Frankly I did not expect any reply and yet there were two. So the members of this forum must be a nice bunch.

KD8PFB Joe, I hope you had more luck the next day checking out the Sotabeams website.
It is a really nice website with lots of back packer and SOTA merchandise with the emphasis on light weight.

G0BVZ Thanks for phoning Richard G3CWI from Sotabeams and thanks for that link about the RG174 coax cable. I learned a lot from that. At my station I use mostly Ecoflex15 and Aircell7.

www.ssb.de/index.php?cat=c1_Coaxial-Cables----.html&XTCsid=r7r7sim60rqjlfp0nf9n1qiaq5

I am just a beginner at back packing and SOTA so to see the RG174 (as opposed to Ecoflex15) for the first time you sort of wonder.
But I do realize now how important it is to carry light and like you said Vic the loss is not much more then 1 dB at a 10 meter run so not worth worrying about.
After reading the link I actually ordered a Bandhopper 2 antenna from Sotabeams and have it laying right in front of me on my desk. Of course I need more "stuff" to get me going next Spring but it is a good start.

73 Renze VE6DC

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 00:19:55 UTC »
Thanks KD8PFB and G0BVZ for replying.

Sorry I am so late responding but for a couple of weeks I did not look at the QRP Club forum.
Frankly I did not expect any reply and yet there were two. So the members of this forum must be a nice bunch. <snip.....>

Pleased to help out. You're right, they are a nice bunch, no prima donnas, no drama, no flamers, no know-it-alls, just good folk from all over getting along. It is amazing, the best forum ever.  You've probably noticed we have a kinda nautical theme: we like a little gentle fun.  (FYI: I'm the ship's cat!!  ;D)

Kind regards,

Vic /nipping off to scupper the bilges....