Quick Login

Author Topic: New Member From Canada  (Read 682 times)

Offline VE3KLX

• Able Seaman
    • VE3KLX Blog
New Member From Canada
« on: December 22, 2013, 15:58:09 UTC »
Greetings to all. I am curious to know how one advances from "SWL" to "Official Member"?
It seems I am listed as SWL and while that is not a huge problem, it implies I am only listening, which is not the case.
Anyway, I am pleased to be part of the QRP movement and so far have not worked any QRP stations off my continent, but I am hopeful. I am running EndFedz antennas and an S9V31 vertical with either an Elecraft K2, KX3 or K3.
Band conditions haven't been fantastic, but it is possible to work DX with only 5watts (or even less), so it is a matter of continuing to try.
72 & 73 to all.
DE VE3KLX
David Coutts
VE3KLX

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
  • The world is too small for QRO.
    • QRP Club
Re: New Member From Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 17:32:20 UTC »
Hi, David, welcome aboard!

If you send a post, you automatically become an official member.  ;)
72 de Nicola

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 00:03:32 UTC »
Hi David!
Nice to see you're now "Official" !!
If you keep plugging way you'll soon make contacts beyond Canada. It's just a case, as you know, of catching the right band conditions. Back in the summer I worked into VE7 on SSB and have had a few Qs with Canada since then on CW.
Dave

Offline VE3KLX

• Able Seaman
    • VE3KLX Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 18:23:28 UTC »
Thanks to those that responded. My "official" status is now secured! HI HI
My big challenge with operating QRP from home is an S5 noise level, which makes it difficult to pull out my fellow QRPers. Occasionally they're above S5, but that amount of noise makes it challenging to say the least.
I do QRP portable, but am also going to experiment with a home-brew magnetic loop for QRP use at home. I have been researching what's involved and will be visiting the local hardware store for some goodies to begin construction.
"It's all good" (as they say) and lots of people have blazed the worldwide QRP trail before me so it's just a matter of perseverance and continuing the experimentation.
73!!
David Coutts
VE3KLX