Quick Login

Author Topic: how many cw ops?  (Read 26221 times)

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
how many cw ops?
« on: December 06, 2013, 10:37:03 UTC »
I know the site is new but how many members use cw ? Myself am cw only and have been for the last few years ..

billy
Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
  • The world is too small for QRO.
    • QRP Club
Re: how many cw ops?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 10:45:07 UTC »
I know the site is new but how many members use cw ? Myself am cw only and have been for the last few years ..

billy

Hi, I use cw with this paddles:

72 de
Nicola
72 de Nicola

Offline W1SFR

• Leading Rate
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 18:18:11 UTC »
I've been all QRP/CW since I got my ticket a couple of years ago.

72 Steve

Offline f8wbd

• Chief Petty Officer
  • QRP CW 100%. See QRZCQ for info.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 21:27:11 UTC »
I have been exclusively CW since 1980 and QRP from about 1982. A number of rigs over the years but now only an OHR100A for 20M and a FT-817. Straight key only. Looking at the TT Argonaut but a bit expensive, The TT Rebel looks interesting as it can be a simple but "different"  2 band QRP CW rig, if you aren't immediately  into programming.
Low-tech amateur radio in a high-tech amateur radio world. 72/73 de Dick

Offline m3KXZ

• Petty Officer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 08:37:05 UTC »
CW here almost exclusively since realising some time back that it enables QSOs when they're just not possible with SSB. Absolutely loving it and continually gaining in confidence. So much fun and relaxation!

I use a Racal leg strap key (mil surplus) nearly all the time now, with occasional use of a Larkspur key and Palm Mini paddle.

Pete M3KXZ
GQRP 11767
SKCC 10219

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 11:01:13 UTC »
My main paddle is a vibroplex code warrior with magnetic return ,I was a bit "worried" as to how well the mags would work but can say they feel good and work UFB .. I use a Kent twin paddle with my Argosy ..
Voice is for CBers, amateur radio operators, the average citizen, and the military. In other words, voice is for everyone with a mouth. CW is for those who choose this newer mode of communication. Newer? Why yes. Voice has been around for a million years.

Offline AA2JZ

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 06:39:03 UTC »
I,ve been using CW since 1959 or so.....rarely on phone, and maybe some digital sometimes. Like working DX CW, it gets thru when the QRN/M is there. And you dont need a lot of power either. Like 30 WPM, but will QRS when asked....
Carl, AA2JZ
Solder fumes are GOOD for you.

Offline je1trv

• Able Seaman
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 00:11:20 UTC »
Hi Folks!
I'm new here. I registered just few min ago hi.
I have no microphone on my rig.
I'm not QRP only but CW only anyway.
I think CW is must thing for QRP.
See you on the bands!

Atsu, JE1TRV from Tokyo

Offline LU6DO

• Chief Petty Officer
    • LU6DO Web Site
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 05:16:30 UTC »
Hello...
I learned CW in 1982 when run 15 years old :).- Currently working in CW and JT65A, here in the south we are so far and there is little activity, so this new way (JT65A) allows me to entertain myself when no chance in CW. With 500MW I worked many Dx is a great thing.
La radio es maravillosa, pero, siempre recuerda que lo más importante en la vida son los afectos y las vivencias.

Offline SM5JAB

• Leading Rate
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 08:49:03 UTC »
Mostly CW here too. Got my ticket in 1979, age 14. Main key is a Vibroplex bug. More on http://www.da.isy.liu.se/~mj/HAM/index.html

Offline GM0HKS

• Able Seaman
  • "Why use 100 when 1 watt will do" ?
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 10:20:00 UTC »
It's CW for me only. Running an Elecraft K1, home brew 40m CW rig and a K8RA twin brass paddle key

Never look at a technical problem on a Friday, it can seriously spoil your whole weekend !

Offline ve3lyx

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 12:56:28 UTC »
I use CW mostly but have just added AM to most of my rigs using a forgotten 90 year old technology.
Don

Offline VE3YT

• Able Seaman
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 16:41:11 UTC »
Hi, I just joined this club and want to say thanks to Nicola.  I learned Morse in Boy Scouts from a ham, back in the 60s, then had an English teacher who helped a couple of us in high school to get better at cw.  My high school buddy and I both got our licences in 1969 and became addicted to cw contests working 40m cw at our local club's Field Day.  There was an old-timer navy guy there who used to work 80m cw at Field Day with a Hammarlund HQ-170 and a Viking Valiant, and he was smooth. 

I've had hiatuses of ten years or more, while raising kids and focusing on my career, but got back to ham radio two years ago with a K3 and now a KX3.  Just worked the CQ WW DX cw contest and had a great time Saturday night in the ARRL 160m contest, doing cw on my inverted L with two radials!  Mostly I used the K3, but spent an hour working people on the KX3.  I've never actually made an SSB contact on the KX3, it's been cw only.

I've got a couple of Bencher paddles and I just bought an old used Kent twin paddle at a hamfest.  It's smoooooth.  M0JHA mentioned he has a Kent.  I need something smaller for the KX3 when out for a walk.  Should I splurge on the Begali Adventure?  It looks wonderful.  Or should I get the Palm Pico?  Or perhaps try to build my own maybe by taking the bearings out of the old Kent? 

I'm amazed that it's not that hard to hit Europe on 40m with a KX3, 30 feet of wire in a tree and 30 feet of wire on the ground as a counterpoise.

Vic
VE3YT

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 17:53:56 UTC »
Vic , the PALM mini paddles are fine and having a magnetic base ( removable) stick to many rigs .. I have one and it's a nice little paddle . The MFJ mini portable paddle is an option , cheap as chips and can be manipulated to fell "ok" I have one of those also ,it's very small and lightweight but must be held in the hand or if using on a table using one hand to keep it still..

Offline m0jha

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 19:46:57 UTC »