Quick Login

Author Topic: how many cw ops?  (Read 26208 times)

Offline UA9OTW

• Petty Officer
  • PhotoHam
    • Valery Titievsky Photography
Re: how many cw ops?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2014, 06:30:09 UTC »
Hi All.
 I am Fifty-Fifty CW and digital PSK, QPSK, RTTY. Very rarely SSB.
Valery, UA9OTW/QRP
QRP ARCI #15169
RU-QRP #353
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dotfoto/

PG4I

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 07:02:29 UTC »
I am 100% CW. Made one SSB QSO in the past 20 years on 80 meters and did not like it  ;D

For CW I am using a bencher paddle with a keyer designed by K3NG around the arduino platform, see http://blog.radioartisan.com/arduino-cw-keyer

I really enjoy operating contests in CW with my QRP rig.

I also own a straight key, which is a Junker. I have planned to use this straight key a lot the coming year, because my straight keying is a bit rusty....

Offline G0BVZ

• Commodore
  • Feet in England heart in Ireland. Éirinn go Brách!
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 17:57:44 UTC »
On HF, I am 100% CW at the moment.   I am pretty deaf: I think I will be able to read CW by bone conduction even if I become very deaf but in case I can not, I am slowly becoming familiar with setting up for PSK, which I can read on screen now (I must have done something right!!) but so far I have not transmitted PSK.

I came back to the bands late last year after a long QRT: my CW is pretty QLF but it slowly improves. Some words I can read immediately as entire words, others I have to copy on paper, which slows me down. I love morse but I have much work to do.  I do have bencher paddles but I'm not going back to them until I'm sending good relaxed CW at 20 wpm on a straight key: this will take a few more months.  I can't imagine sending CW from a keyboard, I'd be faster on a straight key! -That's how bad my typing is. :-[

I'm not going to apologise for owning microphones, for 2m FM and 4m FM. These two rigs monitor who's around in my neighbourhood. I've made two 4m fone QSOs -ever.

Am I a cw op? Yes, I think so. Does it matter I also operate fone above 30MHz? -No, no more than it matters I use  a mobile phone: I choose the tool for the task in hand.  ;D

Vic

Offline HA5UY

• Able Seaman
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2014, 21:07:33 UTC »
I prefer CW, on top bands: http://eqsl.cc/Member.cfm?HA5UY

Offline pa9cw

• Able Seaman
  • Tonnie
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2014, 17:16:53 UTC »
Since 2000 I use only CW. In 2011/2012 I made some QSO's in digital mode for the 30MDG awards. But now it's all CW. Since 2014 I try as much as possible < 5 W.

Offline vo1bb

• Able Seaman
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2014, 23:22:11 UTC »
My set up for the past few years has been, the  ft817 or a Ten Tec 509,  and I use a J 38 straight key with these rigs. My antenna is a hf9v ground mounted with abt 30 radials. A dell laptop for my logging. And all this is powered by 4, 15 watt solar panels. 
 Bill   

VE2TH

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014, 23:47:34 UTC »
Good evening Bill,

First of all, thank you very much to accept my invitation to the group, and thank you also for your registration.

Yes here it is a bunch of QRP maniac!!  ;D And I'm very glad you are here, and sure you will like it. 

You have a very nice set-up, nice radios, One day I would like to make another QSO with you but with your argonaut, this is a very nice classic QRP of the 70's.

My XYL VE2RH, Georgette use a FT-817ND, she's also loving QRP. We share the same antennas ::)

I also use my J-38 straight key along with my paddle, both are hook-up to my KX3 from Elecraft.
and I use the Icom IC-703 + for 6 & ten meters to a vertical antenna. on ten, and a 2 or 3 elements beam built from Buddipole parts during the summer. Other antennas are simple wire @ 32 ft, in inverted vee configuration.

See you on the air soon, and keep on QRP'ing

72/73 Michel VE2TH  QRP & QRPp

- P.S,
4 X 15 watts panel is a very good idea, next time tell me if you are using a solar charge controler ? make & model ? and what kind of batteries ?

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2014, 00:07:51 UTC »
My set up for the past few years has been, the  ft817 or a Ten Tec 509,  and I use a J 38 straight key with these rigs. My antenna is a hf9v ground mounted with abt 30 radials. A dell laptop for my logging. And all this is powered by 4, 15 watt solar panels. 
 Bill   

Congratulations on your minimalistic station Bill. I'm very impressed by your solar power !
Dave

Offline vo1bb

• Able Seaman
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2014, 00:09:39 UTC »
Hey Michel
 The controller is made by mastercraft and is rated for 7 amps. And the batteries are deep cycle marine. with about 690 amp and a reserve of 140 each. It runs the station with no problems. Also the inverter for the laptop is 75w.  I am still improving the setup. The charge control only has 2 leds. One for charging and one for complete charge. So  I am making a led voltage meter to monitor the volts of my system. 
 I would also like to have another qso with you soon. Our first one was back in 2005 and I still have the card to prove it hi hi.
Bill

VE2TH

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2014, 02:15:41 UTC »
Thanks Bill  for the infos, It is really a very impressive back-up power.

I think your system is from IPC and the charge controller, is yellow with a red and green leds on it.

You can operate for weeks without Electricity. The fun with electricity outage, you have no noise at all, just clean signals on the radio.

With a good wood stove, during the bad storms you have these days, you are in business.

Yes, good idea to have other QSO soon, I'm regularly around ,morning and afternoon  the QRP frequencies on 40/30/20/17/15 meters, with simple wire antennas.

On 15 and 10 meters I have a vertical antenna.

Oh by the way, we had QSO on january 5, 2010, and the other one december 8, 2012. So we are due to another one, one every to years or so Hi! Hi! I also have the QSL card.

See you,

72 Michel

Offline VA2SG

• Petty Officer
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2014, 15:15:06 UTC »
CW rocks !
72 de JP VA2SG

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2014, 15:54:11 UTC »
CW only, now for this year only 120 qrp cw. Like a truth Polar Bear i am. Nice to see other bear on the den, have a flipper to chew while operating cw. (Shew wee) ::)
Say hello from me to the Goat man WG0AT if you hear him over there. ;D
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

Offline VA2SG

• Petty Officer
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2014, 16:54:23 UTC »
CW only, now for this year only 120 qrp cw. Like a truth Polar Bear i am. Nice to see other bear on the den, have a flipper to chew while operating cw. (Shew wee) ::)
Say hello from me to the Goat man WG0AT if you hear him over there. ;D

I will Grrrr;-)
72 de JP VA2SG

f5gsk

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2014, 21:59:24 UTC »
hello all,
i'm licenced since 1982 but i praticed cw since only 3 years about...i'm still a newbie on this mode....
100 % cw qrp with an flex-1500 sdr and longwire antenna (16,20 m long). My keys are  cwtouchkeyer , are fun for me !
72 73 Pierre - f5gsk

Offline KQ8X

• Able Seaman
  • 73 de KQ8X
    • KQ8X - My blog about QRP operating.
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2014, 14:55:13 UTC »
I know this topic is a bit aged, but I wanted to proudly respond.  I use CW with one of these:
John F. Michael - KQ8X       Grid: EM46fh
Yaesu FT-817                     ITU Zone: 7
LDG Electronics Z-11 AT      CQ Zone: 4
20m Dipole
100% QRP                         NAQCC #1413