Quick Login

Author Topic: GREETINGS FROM N. CA  (Read 1936 times)

Offline W6PJJ

• Able Seaman
GREETINGS FROM N. CA
« on: May 17, 2017, 01:01:00 UTC »
Greetings from N. CA:

My name is Don, W6PJJ. I reside in Rancho Cordova, CA... 10 miles SE of Sacramento. I began my Amateur Radio Tour in 1968, QRP was the norm for a low income teenager, who through scrounging, and dismantling old TV's found enough parts to build a QRP Transmitter which consisted of a 6L6 medium power oscillator. On a good day I might actually get 10 watts out of that HB rig. I have operated QRP off and on for nearly 5 Decades now. Presently, I run an Elecraft KX3 mounted to the handlebars of my bicycle and as a QRP Base Station in Local Parks..."See my page on QRZ.com for Images" I also run the KX3 with the home base station antennas from time-to-time.

I look forward to meeting some of you folks here, and maybe even set up some SKEDS for CW operation on the Low Frequency Bands.

Don W6PJJ  8)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Re: GREETINGS FROM N. CA
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 07:22:35 UTC »
Hi and welcome Don. I'm unlikely to manage to work you on the low bands, but have made a few contacts into CA and west coast NA with my KX3.
My first TX was also made out of bits from TVs but that was about 60 years ago!!

72/73, Dave
Dave

Offline W6PJJ

• Able Seaman
Re: GREETINGS FROM N. CA
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 04:04:47 UTC »
Dave:

Thanks for your remarks. We can hope that someday we work Scotland running QRP. I have worked the Island a number of times over the past 5 decades but with HP Linear running QRO and even that was not easy with all the stations on the freq.

Good DX hunting and bagging.

Don W6PJJ    8)