Quick Login

Author Topic: ANY HARDCORE QRP DXERS HERE?  (Read 4653 times)

Offline wg5g

• Petty Officer
ANY HARDCORE QRP DXERS HERE?
« on: December 15, 2013, 16:42:26 UTC »
Hello, I introduced myself before - I'm Dan WG5G. Just wondering if there are any qrp dxers in this club? Many other clubs are into kit building and hiking, my main interest is dx and antenna building - just wonder if there are others that share my interest? 72 Dan WG5G.

Offline K2MIJ

• Leading Rate
Re: ANY HARDCORE QRP DXERS HERE?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 17:44:31 UTC »
Hi Dan,

No, you are not alone! ... My biggest QRP, QRPp interest is in DXing. I do it in 2 flavors, CW and SSB. I only own 1 "store bought" antenna a Par endfedz multi band... everything else I build myself.

I have worked DXCC twice now. Once with my old call WA2OQJ and just finished putting number 100 confirmation in the book with the new K2MIJ call in October... I have 150 worked and 125 confirmed...Honor roll, here I come! hi hi...

So no Dan, it isn't just you!

....cu on the bands

Jim K2MIJ

Offline IZ5ZCO

• Admiral
  • The world is too small for QRO.
    • QRP Club
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 18:01:06 UTC »
Hi, Dan, we've recently added a "Sked Board":
https://www.qrpclub.org/qrp/index.php?board=9.0

Good DX!
72 de Nicola

Offline KR2Q

• Able Seaman
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 19:54:29 UTC »
Hello Dan,

I just joined this group today 16 Dec 2013.  Well, I used to be a "hard core" DXer but sort of ran out of stuff to work (really).  Probably 15 or 20 years ago, I was 1 DXCC short of making Honor Roll with 5 watts.  In July of 1989, shortly before my 2nd kid was born, I stayed home for vacation (saving up $$ for kid #2), I finally broke down and tried milliwatting (I had been urged on for many years by AA2U, another QRPer) and gave it a try.  My goal was DXCC with 900mw in 2 weeks (the time I had for vacation).  I didn't quite make it.  It took me 19 days.  And then I got the mw bug.  Over the next several years, I got up to 256 DXCC with milliwatts (what I thought was 900 mw originally was actually later shown to be 700 mw...even better!).  And then I got tired of that too. 

My "best" DX was working an LU (no sked) from NJ with 790 mircowatts.  Yup...MICRO watts! 

So now, I qrp during contests, both DX and domestic.  It' pretty much the same as "hard core DXer" except it is all crammed into 48 hours.  :-)

Hope to see you on the bands.

QRP ARCI #6509
QRP DXCC #64 (1984) from "The Milliwatt"
DXCC QRP 300 from ARCI Feb 13, 1993 (300 countries, as they were called back then)

Offline sm5mek

• Crazy Swede as it should be
  • Rear Admiral
  • Love qrp cw and ssb, behold for my Swenglish
    • SM5MEKQRP on ENGLISH
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 09:18:57 UTC »
YEPP, Dan it is realy fun to work with antennas, the most important part of the qrp equipment. Ialso love to get out in the nearby forest and fight a little with mosquitos and wolfs. This time of year no mosquitos. Instead it is cold and for the moment rain. Most of the wolfs are coming with an string and collar  were they catched another human with. The human beeing says it is an dog.... i know i know, wolf psycology make them saying that. Hi Hi.
Why not dx-ing from forest? I did it several times.
Best regards, 72 de SM5MEK, Jenny.

DF5WW

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 10:14:58 UTC »
Hi Dan,

i love Dxing with my QRP power. Coming back to the bands May 2008 and 218 entities now. Nice feeling if i see a pileup and try to catch a new one. DXing is my main interest too.

Juergen, QRP only with various indoors  :D ;)

Offline wg5g

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 23:32:05 UTC »
Hello to everyone here,

Glad there are others that share qrp dxing, KR2Q - Doug we have exchanged emails in the past about qrp dxing, sri to here abt ur ants lost in the hurricane a few years ago, also what happened to AA2U Randy? I know he was in the army, guess not active anymore. AA4GA has a QRP DX  listing of some of the top qrp dxer's and their totals listed on his QRZ page, everyone please feel free to submit ur totals. My station is at home, I really hav'nt tried the portable operating, suppose it might be fun. Used to operate at 900 mw in the ARCI contests with a battery to get the multiplier points, wked OH, KL7, KH6, but never tried to get DXCC milliwatting, anyway tnx to all that responded, have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, the dx picture is really looking good for 2014, 72 Dan WG5G.

DF5WW

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 15:54:27 UTC »
Thanks for the nice info about AA4GA Dan. Wrote him an eMail and now in the unoffcial QRP DX list too. He wrote that he would happy if he received more DXCC QRP standings from european DX´ers .....

73´s, gl es fb DX  8) :D

Offline wg5g

• Petty Officer
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 19:07:30 UTC »
Juergen,

Tnx fer signing up, hope the word spreads, as you have seen, not too many qrpers listed. Im sure there are some pretty impressive totals in Europe and Asia. Ok, I'll continue to ck back here for interesting qrp dxing stories, 72 Dan WG5G.

DF5WW

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 19:45:59 UTC »
Have opened a thread in our german qrp forum. Hope that some guys will upload their standings too. I´m also in the DARC DXCC listings but there´s no difference between QRP, LP or HP. Better to have a listing like AA4GA´s QRP standings.

gl es mni DX in the last days of 2013 and much more in 2014  ;) :D