Quick Login

Author Topic: Looks like propagation is improving  (Read 1797 times)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
Looks like propagation is improving
« on: February 11, 2016, 19:52:14 UTC »
I thought I'd give 15 metres a go this afternoon after not playing much radio since last December.
The RBN showed I was being received in 9 states - mainly east coast and I worked WB2QJ and KR8JW both 2x QRP (5 Watts) and also WA2OJN. Would have worked more but my XYL called me for dinner so HAD to QRT! :-)
Dave

DF5WW

Re: Looks like propagation is improving
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 14:55:35 UTC »
Hi Dave,

i think the 24th solar cycle isn´t over yet. We have had bad K and A index the last few days but the solar flux was always above 110 ... Also the sunapots in the last day´s around 80 .... Think we will be have some more fun on the upper bands..

;D ;)

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 17:22:45 UTC »
Just worked Elliott in CA and got a 559 from him on 12m. He was 599 but running a fair bit more power!
Dave

DF5WW

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 20:40:19 UTC »
Last few days i worked 2 ATNO´s with QRP ... First was 4W/DJ2EH (timor-Leste) on 30 meters on Feb 13th ... followed by NoJ (Mariana Islands) on 17 m at Feb 14 .... 2day i worked RI1ANR (Antarctica) on 40 meters but it´s not an ATNO for me, have worked him and also DP1POL b4 on other bands in earlier times ....

But it was a nice weekend to work 2 ATNO´s with 5 watts .... Meanwhile i have spent my old IC-735 a power modification. Normally i have switched them to a max of the half power (50 W). Then the radio could be regulatet between 5 and 50 watts ... Now i have reduced the minimal power to abt. 500 mW in the low power and 1 W in the high power (you can switchi High/Low at the internal mainboard) ... So next tests will be QRPP ..... 1w or less  :)) ;D :-\

Offline GM0LVI

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 22:28:51 UTC »
Congrats Juergen - that's great going particularly 4W/DJ2EH on 30m. I find working the lower bands from home on my vertical antennas quite a challenge as I've a very high noise level (about S5 to S7). I've only worked 40 countries on 80m and at least half of those have been with 100 Watts!
Good luck with your QRPP, it should be an interesting test and a lot of fun too.
Dave